Old September 24th 06, 09:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Robert Moir

Default UAC / Signed Drivers / etc. are a joke :(

On 2006-09-08 05:48:01 +0100, Ryan said:

Well, you guys want to know why I'm so upset? I REALLY like Vista. I
love the navigation system, I love the "Aero" deal, I love the style,
etc. I actually called my brother out in St.Louis and told him this is
the coolest version of Windows yet and that he needs to get the RC too.
Then after hours and hours of trying to get my sound working with
non-signed Creative drivers and then running into issues with my paid
for copy of Alcohol (which is obviously blacklisted by name by the OS
itself), I began to wake up from the dream.

If Microsoft would just give people like me the ability to take our own
risks, it'd keep up silent about all the methods meant to protect us.
Freedom exists in this world for a reason. Do you see vehicle
manufacturers FORCING you to install roll cages and 4 point seat belts?
Do you see lifeguards forcing people to wear wetsuits, carry oxygen
tanks and wear goggles? Do you see BBQ grills forcing you to cook your
steak to well done to prevent food poisoning? It's STUPID to force
people to do things when everyone has a different preference. It's
also stupid to tell me what kind of seasonings to use on my steak (aka
banning stuff like Alcohol). This is my computer. I built it. I paid
for the software I use on it. I paid for all the OSs I've ever used.
All I want is for MS to give me my freedom to use my computer how I
want.
Again, I love Vista but my got is it a shame that to have 64-bit
functionality out of my dual core processor that I build FOR Vista, I
have to be controlled. It's just another in the lost list of lost
personal freedoms except in this case it's not the government doing it,
it's Microsoft.

So this version of Alcohol120% you're trying to run. Does it say it's
compatible with Vista? 64-bit Vista? 64 bit Windows XP for that matter?
Or does it just claim to run on 32-bit Windows XP?

Because, you know, you'd look kind of foolish if you were screaming
like a baby over Vista not being able to run software that the software
manufacturer themselves does not certify for 64-bit Vista.

--
Robert Moir
Microsoft MVP for Security

www.robertmoir.com