Old September 24th 06, 09:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Robert Moir

Default UAC / Signed Drivers / etc. are a joke :(

On 2006-09-23 18:54:02 +0100, DJJoker said:

Just a small note on this. I noticed that Ryan made reference to
Cubase, which is a professional Audio application. I am in a similar
position and cannot get my sound to work which is probably due to a
driver issue.

The BIG problem here is that my soundcard has not and never will be
signed by Microsoft.... all because it does NOT support DRM on the
SPDIF connections which is pretty normal for professional standard
equipment.

It doesn't need to be signed _by Microsoft_
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/winlog...ign_perOS.mspx

Just needs to be signed properly.

So the fact that you will NEED driver signing is stupid really, the
system they have in place on Win XP is fine, a suitable warning is
enough.

The XP system might be fine for you, but I've cleaned up enough broken
computers to be able to say that it isn't fine for everyone. Remember,
this system doesn't just have to deal with the best of customers
installing the best of products but also with the worse qualified
customers installing awful products.

--
Robert Moir
Microsoft MVP for Security