USB Pen Drive Causing Vista Ultimate to Hang

Old May 24th 07, 11:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
WelshWonder

Default USB Pen Drive Causing Vista Ultimate to Hang

I have been experiencing problems when using my usb pen drives, when inserted
vista finds the drives with no trouble and installs them fine, autoplay opens
and lets me access the drive, however when i try to navigate around the drive
after this the whole system grinds to a holt and does not let me do anything
within explorer until i remove the pen. This is only occuring on my ultimate
edition as i have the premium edition on my laptop which it is working fine
with.
Please Advise
Old May 25th 07, 07:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
WBurchnall

I can't help but wonder since its a usb flash drive if Windows Vista
Ultimate might be trying to use it for its 'ReadyBoost' feature which
lets you use usb flash driver as 'virtual memory'?

You could try disabling the service for 'ReadyBoost' and see if that
helps you.

To do so, type 'Services' in the start search. This will open a list of
the services running on your pc sorted by alphabetic order. Scroll down
to 'ReadyBoost'. Double click on 'ReadyBoost' and choose 'Stop'.

If this resolved it, you may wish to set the services from
manual/automatic to disabled so it doesn't launch when you connect your
usb drive.

Another option would be on another pc like a win xp machine, copy all
the info off then reformat the usb drive as ntfs doing a complete format
and not a quick format. Copy the info back on and see if that help's you
browse the drive better.

Third option, update your bios and motherboard drivers in case there's
an issue with your usb controller properly recognizing the device. I
recommend this option last as you said Windows Vista finds and seems to
install the drive fine.

--
WBurchnall