Old December 28th 07, 04:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
mattperry

Default USB Flash drives not recognized : solution ?

Hey,

I have the same problem, my drives worked BEFORE I did a clean install of
Vista... My iPod doesnt work either... Has anyone found a solution?
Microsoft really needs to be monitoring this....

"TMi" wrote:

Solution ?
The remote control software of my TV card was slowering the shutdown of
Vista. I've supress it automatic load from the registry. Now Vista close
without problem (not tested more than 4-6 time).
It seems, that now my USB keys are quikly recognised and that there is no
more pb !?

So a solution can be to check carefully all other hardware/software devices.
There is a lot which are not fully compatible (even if announced to be
compatible). For example my TV Terratec Cinergy T2, Speefan (not ok on one
of my PC, making it crashing sometimes).
What is tricky is the fact that there not a clear strong problem, it's just
a quite irreproducable instability.

Hope this can help or give some idea.

"TMi" a écrit dans le message de
news
Well, that doesn't sound very good. Have you tried chkdisk on your
C: drive?

A. Yes, it's ok

Why is Vista looking on the E: drive for Vista drivers? Did you ever
tell it to look there?

A. I don't know, E: is my 2nd HD with Windows XP

My USB are still working fine ... if i wait 1-10mn ! my old good
floppy drive is quicker ;-)

Other thing, sometimes it takes 5 min to finish to close Vista, just at
the final step when the screen is yet black. This occur 1 time upon 5-10.
Other thing : if i boot with my USB yet in, it's ok, if i retsart a
session it's also ok.

"Don" a écrit dans le message de
TMi wrote:

Any interesting messages in
C:\windows\inf\setupapi.app.log or setupapi.dev.log?

Here somme examples

1)
dvi: Enumerating INFs from path list 'C:\Windows\INF'
!!! inf: Error searching published INFs - likely system
corruption!

Well, that doesn't sound very good. Have you tried chkdisk on your
C: drive?

2)
!!! sto: Inf file does not contain CatalogFile directive
for the specified processor architecture. Inf =
e:\windows\inf\usbstor.inf
inf: Opened INF: 'e:\windows\inf\usbstor.inf' ([strings]

Why is Vista looking on the E: drive for Vista drivers? Did you ever
tell it to look there?

Are there any references to e:\ in your Registry?