Windows needs to install drivers for xxx

Old May 27th 07, 11:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Adz06

Default Windows needs to install drivers for xxx

Ok, this is really starting to annoy me now. Everytime I turn on my pc I get
lots of these messages. The software for the devices is installed. This
includes my new Logitech MX5000 keyboard and mouse, it asks for drivers for
the BT Mini-REceiver, My HP D5160 printer, and even my older microsoft mouse
and keyboard.

If I click find drivers windows doesnt find anything. With my printer, I can
uninstall and reinstall, and it will work, then on a restart it doesnt work.
Im using the latest drivers for all the devices and still get errors.

Any help?
Old May 27th 07, 01:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Adz06,

A bad cache file in Windows sometimes can cause this condition. I suspect
that your C:\windows\inf\INFCACHE.1 is corrupted. The fix is to delete that
file. (Before you can delete it you must edit its file permissions to grant
Full Control to the Users group.) Right click the file and select
Properties. You'll see the tab.

As background, when Windows has problems identifying drivers, it stores them
in the above indicated cache.1 file. This file then can produce the problems
you have. Get rid of it. If that step doesn't solve your problem, post back.
--
freddy

Old May 30th 07, 09:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Adz06

Thanks Freddy, that worked perfectly, everything is up and running now.

One quick question, with my printer, I dont always keep it plugged in to the
power as I need the socket for other things. It seems it I unplug it, next
time I want to use I have to wait for windows to reinstall the drivers, which
with my HP printer, can take up to 10 minutes, not so handy when I just want
to print something. Is this right? Or can I force Vista to remember my
printer whether its plugged in or not?

Adam

Old August 19th 09, 02:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
AndyMcG

I am having the same problems. my PCI device, PCI to PCI bridge, flash
drives, keyboard etc all are looking fo rdriver software.
I have tried deleting the inf/CACHE, It was also suggested in another
thread that I edit one of the registries to direct toward system32,
neither of these have worked. Any other Ideas?

--
AndyMcG