HP psc 1110 installation problem in Vista

Old May 28th 07, 03:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tjørneheksen

Default HP psc 1110 installation problem in Vista

I am a genuine it-ignorant. When installing the old printer to my new shiny
labtop I unfortunately used the old method: plugged in the installation cd
before the printer. This has the result that the pc do not notise at all when
I plug the printer in here after. How do I "reset" and start from scratz? I
cant find the drivers I might have installed in my stupidity... Please help
/Pernille
Old May 28th 07, 04:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Tjorneheksen,

At the HP website, I found the following information for your printer, quote:

Introduction

The driver solution for this product is included in your Windows Vista
operating system and is already on your computer. There is no need to
download anything. Follow the steps below to quickly and easily get your
product working with Windows Vista.

Installing the printer driver:

Verify that the printer is turned on.

Connect the Universal Serial Bus (USB) cable to the printer and to the
computer.

A window might display on the screen, Your devices are ready to use. If the
window displays and does not close automatically, close the window.

Print a test page.

Unquote

It's difficult to tell from here what problem you are having. I suspect
that your best approach would be to contact HP Support. You can do this
through its website. HP should know best how to make your printer work with
Vista.

--
freddy

Old May 28th 07, 05:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tjørneheksen

Thank you for trying to help. I have red the eksakt quote, but unfortunately
after the problem started. As I said: at this point nothing is happening when
I connect the printer. And the printer do not figure as an option - and yes:
it is turned on...
I will try to contact HP as you suggest.
Thank you any how

Old May 28th 07, 06:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Neil Harley

Tjørneheksen wrote:
I am a genuine it-ignorant. When installing the old printer to my new shiny
labtop I unfortunately used the old method: plugged in the installation cd
before the printer. This has the result that the pc do not notise at all when
I plug the printer in here after. How do I "reset" and start from scratz? I
cant find the drivers I might have installed in my stupidity... Please help
/Pernille

If the drivers are installed, open 'Printers' on the Start Menu and then
click on the 'File' menu. Select 'Server' from the menu and then click
on the 'Drivers' tab. Find the driver you want to remove and select 'Remove.

I'm not sure if that will help you but it's worth a try.
Old May 28th 07, 06:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tjørneheksen

Hey mr. Harley
Thank you, but the only trace I could find from my initial failour, was
under 'gate' i the printer menu. COM 1-9 was listed as seriel gates, but the
gate named 'DOT4_001' was a psc printer gate... dont know what that means...

Old May 29th 07, 01:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
huwyngr

'DOT4_001' is a USB printer port.

In my view you were correct, if actually installing a driver, to
disconnect the printer and cable when doing so but when the driver is
"in the box" then just plugging the printer and cable in should produce
New Hardware found.

What version of VISTA are you using? HP says on the driver page for
VISTA:

Scanning with Windows Fax and Scanning
NOTE: This feature works only with Windows Vista Ultimate, Windows
Vista Business, and Windows Vista Enterprise.

as well as saying:

Using the advanced printer functions

You might find that some of the advanced features are no longer
available when using this basic driver. You can upgrade to an HP
product that is fully compatible with Windows Vista if the advanced
features are necessary.

and goes on to say buy a new computer -- we will help you choose! Ouch!

Old May 29th 07, 08:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tjørneheksen

Thats eksaktly my frustration: where is the "new hardware" alert? Right now
the pc is ignoring me, and I have no skills to force a dialog.
Im using Vista Business, so I was hoping that I might scan in the end, but
right now I would be ekstatic just to print.

Old May 29th 07, 03:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
huwyngr

I'd suggest starting all over again by disconnecting the USB cable from
the printer to the PC at the computer end; uninstalling any HP software
for this device that may appear in Add/Remove Programs; delete any
icons that may appear in Control Panel / Printers & Scanners; reboot.

Then reinstall the HP software file you downloaded using this
technique:

1 -- Make sure the USB cable is disconnected from the PC at the PC
end

2 -- Find the file in explorer or on your desktop according to
where you downloaded it to

3 -- Right mouse click on the filename

4 -- Select Run as Administrator on the menu that appears where you
click

OK your way out and hope for the best!

Old May 29th 07, 10:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tjørneheksen

thank you so much for your time. unfortunately Im a lost case.
Following your steps I went futher than before, and Vista revealed the
secret: kompatebilityproblems with the program: HPImageZone. Contact
Hewlett-Packard please.
Darn Im angry. I actual tjecked the kompatebility before I chose Vista, and
they proclaimed that all HP printers with usb cables was NP. Hmf.
But again: thanks for your time.
/Pernille

Old May 30th 07, 08:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
huwyngr

All I can tell you is that I have installed HP's current software --
which is PhotoSmart Essential and it is working fine. I installed it as
described here by me -- but that was for the HP PS8250 and not for your
printer for which the only driver according to HP is the one in VISTA.

However ImageZone is not essential to the operation of a printer/AIO --
it is imaging software of which there are plenty of alternatives both
free and paid for.

I was going to say "Did you download the VISTA version of ImageZone
Express that is on the HP website?"

HP Image Zone Express product Web site. Go to www.hp.com/go/ize .

but I just rechecked that link and it redirected repeatedly to:

HP Photosmart Essential 2.01
Free photo editing, organizing, printing and sharing software

http://www.hp.com/united-
states/consumer/digital_photography/free/software/index.html

which does have a VISTA version so I wonder if HP has replaced
ImageZone Express?

So as I said ImageZone is not essential so why not download and install
the VISTA version of PhotoSmart Essential. It seems to be up to version
2.01 now so I better get it -- mine is ver 1.xx