Can't select a new specific USB printer driver when a compatible driver is already installed

Old May 29th 07, 02:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Walter J. Wierwille

Default Can't select a new specific USB printer driver when a compatible driver is already installed

Windows XP would ask if I wanted to have it install automatically and would
let me select "Have disk..." during installation, but Vista just installs
automatically. Is there option somewhere I can set so that I can make Vista
ask me if I want to use a specific driver before it automatically installs
drivers for a device? Thanks.

Old May 29th 07, 02:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Default Can't select a new specific USB printer driver when a compatible d

Walter,

Does the device work properly after Vista installs it? You can double check
the status of the device in Device Manager. In Device Manager, review all
entries for it and note whether any issues are displayed. That is, under
Properties for the device, do you see the words "This device is working
properly," or do you see something else? If it's working properly, there's
no need to install drivers, unless something isn't working. Vista includes
drivers for many hardware items that required the user to install drivers in
previous versions of Windows. If you're trying to install more current
drivers than those installed by Vista, under Properties for the device,
select the Drivers tab. Then, click on Update drivers. Follow on-screen
prompts.
--
freddy

Old May 29th 07, 03:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Walter J. Wierwille

Freddy,

I needed to test multiple sets of printer drivers for multiple printers with
the software we develop because some of them format documents and process
printer jobs differently. I was able to install the other driver by using
the "update driver" feature, but I am still curious to know if there is a
way to turn off automatic driver installation when I plug in a USB device so
that I can select the driver to install at that time.

Thanks,
Walter

Old May 29th 07, 03:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
huwyngr

In article , Walter J. Wierwille
wrote:

would*
let me select "Have disk..." during installation, but Vista just installs*
automatically.

This can happen if you have the printer and its USB cable plugged into the
PC while installing the software.

I'd recommend unplugging the USB cable from the PC; uninstalling any printer
software you see in Add/Remove Programs; deleting any icons for the device
in Control Panel / Printers & Scanners; restarting the computer.

Then with the USB cable still unplugged install the printer software that
you want to use and when it tells you, or after [Finish], plug in the
printer and cable - it may say to restart the computer before you plug the
cable in.

Let us know what happens.