Old January 10th 08, 05:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
[email protected]

Default 4 gigs ram B.S.O.D.

On Dec 22 2007, 5:59 pm, SimRacer
wrote:
If it only gives you the blue screen with 4 in and works fine with 3 in then
its most likely bad ram. You can download a Memtest and burn that to disk and
run the program. Its a DOS based program so your system needs to be set to
boot from cd as first boot device. Test the memory one at a time to find out
if any of it is bad.

http://www.memtest.org/

Thats the link to memtest, its free and a much better testing program then
Microsofts memory tester. Run the test and let it repeat at least a couple of
times.

"andy6432668" wrote:

I got a dell inspiron 531 came with 2 gigs of memory running vista 64
bit. I installed 2 gigs total of 4 gigs got b.s.o.d. upon startup so I
startup in safe mode there it shows 4 gigs tried again to boot in normal
desktop same bsod. I removed 1 stick leaving 3 gigs now boots and runs
fine what's up with vista and 4 gigs of ram ?

--
andy6432668

Its not bad ram. Its Vista. With the inspiron 531 you probably can
only run 3 gigs with vista. But the ram is fine.