Old January 14th 08, 02:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
R. C. White

Default Moving drive from old PC to new PC

Hi, sweetsco.

Have you seen this KB article:
You cannot view or change the Read-only or the System attributes of folders
in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, or in Windows Vista

It says, among other things, "Unlike the Read-only attribute for a file, the
Read-only attribute for a folder is typically ignored by Windows, Windows
components and accessories, and other programs."

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP

"sweetsco" wrote in message
I recently moved a hard drive to a new computer and I can't gain
read/write
access to my old folders.

My computer puked. I'm pretty sure it's the motherboard. So, I bought a
new tower and moved the hard drive. Old system XP, new system Vista.

I can see all the old files and have even transferred mail ID's to the
vista
system, but I can't take the "read only" attribute off any of the folders.
tried the "take ownership" procedure and it did not work even though in
the
dialogue box shows that my ID on the new Vista system is the owner.
Anyone
got any help????