Old January 14th 08, 08:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

Default Memory strangeness

There is a pretty common set of issues around pc6400 memory and the fourth
dimm slot on a number of mobos. You need to check on the mobo
manufacturer's website for details and in the forums hosted there for
advice. It is a fair bet that you would be better served with pc5300 ram or
by 2GB pc6400 sticks when moving to 4GB. This issue impacts XP Pro x64 as
well as Vista x64.

"Azin" wrote in message

I've just installed another 2 Gig of RAM because Vista ultimate 64bit is
quite hungry for memory.

In the windows experience index I had a score of 5.6 out of 5.9, with
the 2 gig of memory bringing it down to 5.6, the rest of the hardware
scoring top at 5.9
I thought that by installing 4 gig in total my memory score would go up
to 5.9 too, but can you believe it, it's dropped to 5.5! [image:
http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/i...w_cussing.gif]
[image: http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/i.../icon_eek.gif]
(BTW - exactly the same brand as the previous 2 sticks that were in
there before Corsair XMS2 DDR2 TwinX matched PC6400)

What going on lads [image:
http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/i...lies/conf.gif] [image:
http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/i...n_scratch.gif]

--