No more sound after VMC sorta-crash

Old June 3rd 07, 09:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
al_ku

Default No more sound after VMC sorta-crash

Okay, out of curiosity I went to "Online Media - Program Library - More
Tasks" in Vista Media Center for the first time. There I chose to watch some
Chappelle Best Of Season 1 episodes on "Comedy Central MotherLoad". So and
right when the one before the last episode was about to end and switch to the
last episode the little area where the episodes are played in freezed, even
though Media Center still showed the "Playing" status in the main menu. I
just clicked on the X to close Media Center and from there on the horror
starts for me.

Since that very moment I have no sound whatsoever on my machine ;(
WMP can't play videos or music (saying it encountered an error, sound
related). I also tried VLC and all other players but none of them have sound
and most can't even play videos for that reason...
Funny thing: the sounds in Windows still worked (when I clicked the speaker
in the tray and changed the slider for volume, the "beep" sorta sound could
be heard) but after I rebooted the machine not even this would work anymore.

So I tried to uninstall my sound driver (Realtek HD), restart, install
newest sound driver, restart - still no sound but the Device Manager says
everything is fine and the speaker in the tray doesn't show any errors...

Well, I use my computer for everything and this is very inconvenient for me
:'-( I can't and don't wanna reinstall Windows Vista ;(
Any help/idea, please?
Old June 3rd 07, 10:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cal Bear '66

Have you gone to Control Panel Sound Playback Devices and checked if there
are problems? Or Control Panel Realtek HD Audio Manager?

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

Old June 3rd 07, 10:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Neil Harley

al_ku wrote:
[...]

Open a command prompt with Admin rights and type sfc /scannow and see if
that fixes anything for you
Old June 4th 07, 11:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
al_ku

Hey,
thanks for the suggestion. But it didn't fix it, here's what it said:

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 99% complete.Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files
but was unable to fix some of them.
Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

I checked the log file but it's huge (5MB) and can't seem to find what
caused the corrupt (also searched with notepad for "corrupt" but didn't
return any results)

This is so weird... And the Realtek HD Manager and the Windows Audio Device
in Control Panel shows no error, though I can't even play the Test sounds
(gives a "Failed to play sound" error message).
So, can't listen to music, can't watch TV, can't watch videos, can't hear
any sounds coming from applications... Whish I had set a System Restore Point
yesterday, lol.
Old June 4th 07, 02:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
al_ku

okay sorry, it seems like i was talking BS before... the Windows sounds still
DID work after i restarted. later on i just installed the wrong sound driver
for my onboard sound, now installed the right one and Windows sounds work
again.
but all the other stuff still won't work. i reinstalled xvid and ffdshow,
but still no luck. can't play mp3s (fail message), when playing avi/xvid the
video can be seen in WMP (it's kinda jerky) but i don't have sound and WMP
immediately comes up with the audio failure message. for WMV it doesn't even
show me the video it just immediately pops up the audio failure dialog

Edit: Okay, i went into the VLC settings and played around with the Audio
Output Modules and none of them would work except "Win32 waveOut extension
output"...