Old January 24th 08, 08:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Quaoar[_2_]

Default Problems with WD My Book Home Edition

TBenjamin wrote:
Please help me. I bought a brand new WD My Book Home Edition 500GB external
hard drive yesterday. Vista will not recongize it as a drive on the
computer. The computer sees that it is connected (in device manager and the
"ding-dong" you hear when you add a new device). I hooked it up with the
Firewire and the USB, with the same result. The drive is supposedly Vista
compatible. I downloaded the firewire drivers from WD. Since I cannot
access it as a drive, I cannot get to the setup.exe needed to use the drive.
Any ideas?

Wait one! You downloaded the latest drivers to your C: drive; the driver
install setup.exe is on your C: drive in the download folder you chose.
There is no reason that you cannot run the setup.exe for the new
drivers; these are installed on your host computer, not the external
drive. Disconnect the external drive before you run the setup program.