NVIDIA GeForece 6800 and Vista

Old June 8th 07, 11:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
w2m

Default NVIDIA GeForece 6800 and Vista

My Dell XPS 600 was having video problems when booting so they replaced my
motherboard and video card, but now I can not get the NVIDIA driver
(released by NVIDIA on June 1, 2007) to install correctly in Vista. The
Device Manager says "This device can not find enough resources that it can
use (Code12)"

Any idea what may be going on? Think a Vista reinstall will fix the
problem?

Regards,

Bill

Old June 8th 07, 11:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

w2m,

In Device Manager, under the Properties for the video card, click on the
Resources tab to see specifically what the problem is. If there is a
troubleshooting option available there, resort to using that. Let us know
what you find.
--
freddy

Old June 9th 07, 02:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
w2m

"This device can not find enough free resources that it can use. If you
want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices
on this system."

It seems like there is a memory or IRQ conflict. I aslo have an Angel TV
tunercard and a SoundBlaster Card.

Bill

Old June 9th 07, 08:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

w2m,

After removing two cards you still get the same results? That's really
strange. Here is something additional you can try. If you're not using any
serial ports (many PCs have two, on the back, but some only have one),
disable any and all serial ports in BIOS. That act will free up resources.
Reboot to see whether that helps. In addition, while in the BIOS, note any
resources not being used and disable them (on board audio, video, etc).

I'll post back with additional information on how to resolve IRQ conflicts.
In the meantime, post back on the results you get from the above steps.

--
freddy

Old June 9th 07, 08:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

w2m,

OK, here is a site that lists some steps involved in troubleshooting IRQ
conflicts. Take a look and determine whether any of the ideas presented can
be use by you:

http://www.webtechgeek.com/How-to-Re...Q-Conflict.htm

In addition, take a look at a Vista report that should show you which
device(s) are conflicting with your video card. Click on Start Accessories
System Tools System Information. Unfold Hardware Resources and look at

Conflicts/Sharing. Note what device(s) is/are sharing the video IRQ. Then,
determine whether you can disable it (them) in Device Manager or remove it
(them). You get the idea.

There is another Vista report you can look at to see what it discloses.
Click on Start All Programs Maintenance Problem Reports and Solutions.
Peruse the report to determine what errors it contains and note any solutions
suggested. You never know. Follow wherever the evidence takes you. Post
back on results.
--
freddy

Old June 9th 07, 12:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
w2m

You are a big help Freddy! Thank-you.
Here are the conflicts:

Is some sharing normal?

Conflict Sharing:
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 PCI bus
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 Direct memory access controller

IRQ 20 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
IRQ 20 NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF VgaSave

IRQ 21 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
IRQ 21 NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller

Memory Address 0xC0000-0xEFFFF PCI bus
Memory Address 0xC0000-0xEFFFF System board

Memory Address 0xF0000-0xFFFFF PCI bus
Memory Address 0xF0000-0xFFFFF System board

Memory Address 0xC0000000-0xCFFFFFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
Memory Address 0xC0000000-0xCFFFFFFF NVIDIA GeForce 6800

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI bus
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF VgaSave

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB VgaSave

Memory Address 0xDD000000-0xDFEFFFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
Memory Address 0xDD000000-0xDFEFFFFF NVIDIA GeForce 6800

Regards,

Bill
Old June 9th 07, 01:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

I suspect that the replacement MOBO did not have an up to date BIOS for
VISTA. Install the latest BIOS from Dell to be sure.

Old June 9th 07, 01:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

w2m,

Yes, sharing is normal. The report ought to identify which of those devices
listed in Conflict/Sharing is a conflict, no? Both conflicts and sharing are
listed, but sharing is not a problem. I was hoping that the conflicting
device would be identified separately. If not, then that report doesn't help
in the way I was hoping.

The other poster's suggestion to upgrade BIOS to the latest version is also
a good idea. You can find such a BIOS on the website of the manufacturer of
your motherboard, or also possibly on the website of the manufacturer (Dell,
HP, Compaq, etc.) of your PC. You'll just have to track it down. Another
problem in all this is knowing what BIOS version you have installed on your
PC, so that you can identify whether you need to upgrade. You'll just have
to figure it out. Chances are that a BIOS upgrade wouldn't hurt. You have
to know how to do it.

Do the BIOS thing if you can't easily resolve the conflict issue. Don't
hesitate to seek assistance from a knowledgeable friend, or even a
professional if it comes to that. First, look at the posted suggestions and
see what you can do.

--
freddy

Old June 9th 07, 02:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

w3m,

I've now taken the time to look at the report in more detail. I have some
questions. Firstly, I'm depending on you to see whether the report indicates
there are any conflicts. The way the information is presented, it's hard to
tell what the report shows.

Here is the problem I'm having. The report begins by saying "Here are the
conflicts:" But then the next heading is titled, "Conflict Sharing:" I
suppose that's simply trying to show the title of the report, which should
read Conflicts/Sharing. That title means the report discloses both conflicts
and sharing. That's different from conflict sharing.

It's OK to have sharing. What I want to know is whether the report shows
any conflicts? What is on the report that shows that, if anything? If what
you posted is indeed the conflicts (not sharing), then this is a major
problem. I notice that there's only 2 IRQs listed. The full report should
have many more IRQs than that, perhaps well over 20. Does your report also
show those other IRQs?

You need to post back with some indication as to what I'm seeing. If
everything listed in your post involves conflicts, then this is more than I
expected. Am I asking too much? If so, don't hesitate to tell me.
--
freddy