Heres a cracker of a problem - Nvidia Drivers

Old June 13th 07, 11:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mike Hall - MVP

Default Heres a cracker of a problem - Nvidia Drivers

I installed AOE2 a couple of weeks ago, and it ran ok.. I uninstalled after
playing for a while and now, having updated nVidia drivers to the latest
version, AOE2 will not even install..

"Richard Urban" wrote in message
It is an Nvidia error, not a Vista error.

I have been using Nvidia cards for about 8 years now (since they came
out - whatever year that was). They DO make mistakes - to the point of
trashing the operating system. You are just not thinking back far enough.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

"DABhand" wrote in message
For an MVP you are limited in your knowledge. I dont mean that in a bad
way
of course.

Vista obviously is checking for signatures, crc's etc when a binary is
running.

Now the International drivers WERE working when I first got it, but
lately
after an update they were removed as the active driver. When reinstalling
Vista (NOT the driver) thought this was an AOE2 patch which is wrong, so
Vista must have been checking for a signature, crc etc to recognise it as
an
AOE2 patch when it wasnt.

Now I understand as an MVP you will defend MS, but at the end of the day
the
problem lies within Vista and NOT the drivers.

And before you say im wrong, consider this why would Vista say it was an
AOE2 patch? Something has gone wrong on the Vista side of things for this
happen, im sure Nvidia did NOT intentionally send out 3 different drivers
that would cause Vista to say it was an AOE2 Patch.

Obviously since the last patch Vista's digital signature database has
been
broken if you will, and the entry for AOE2 patch is wrong and is now
confused
with Nvidia's digital signature.

"Richard Urban" wrote:

I got the same error message 2 weeks ago. I immediately suspected it was
because of the Nvidia driver. Why? Because I had not yet installed AOE
on my
computer. If I had been installing sound drivers when the error message
appeared I would have known that the sound drivers were the cause of the
error message.

Vista just presents the message. It doesn't cause the message.

Vista is not the bad boy as many seem to think!

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

"DABhand" wrote in message
Well if you read the first post, you would see that it was Vista that
gave
an
error msg that I was trying to install AOE 2 patch.

That IS a vista problem.

"Richard Urban" wrote:

Strange that you would think that it is automatically Microsoft's
fault
when
Nvidia drivers throw up crap!

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Old June 13th 07, 11:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mike Hall - MVP

Disappointed that you don't explain why you think that Vista is at fault in
this case..

"DABhand" wrote in message
Disappointed you didnt reply with your findings Richard.

Perhaps in future, just because you have an MVP near your name doesnt mean
you can pull out stuff out of a hat. And next time you try to say its
something that it isnt do have evidence to back it up.

Its now obvious you had no clue what you were talking about, 8 years of
using one brand of GPU isnt expert material.

Infact at this moment your MVP is making my MSCE look like a waste of time
and money.

Old June 20th 07, 05:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DABhand

I have checked into this more, and the digital signature used for the
international drivers is correct but the AOE2 patch digital signature is
indeed wrong, and I hope MS actually fix this.

Like I said and you failed to read in other posts is that the international
drivers were working until a recent patch from MS. Now if that doesnt show to
you that MS is at fault I dont know. So I personally looked into it more and
lo and behold I was right all along.

What I dont like is the fact an MVP has come on with no information on this
subject and suggested it was Nvidia's fault and not MS's fault without even
checking themselves on what was going on. Not only does this make them look
silly but it puts doubts into peoples minds that MVP's are not really worth
being MVP's.