Old February 26th 08, 08:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
clod

Default Quicktime & RAID Issues?

Hi Steve,
I have also had problems with Quicktime but I am running a nVidia raid
5 array using the nVidia 680i chipset. This problem has given me heaps
of grief.

I noticed after I had done a BIOS update that the disk array was having
problems and occasionally needed to have a disk rebuilt. Initially I
could not work out what was causing the disk issues as it is a 24 * 7
media PC and only reboots after an update. I thought that it was a disk
failing but was unsure as it seemed to be different disks each time.

I installed the nVidia MediaShield software ( the Windows version of
the BIOS raid software ) and quickly worked out that Quicktime opening
MOV files sends one of the disks off line. I thought to my self "self, I
have seen this in the BIOS before I will just get the mediashield to do
a rebuild". Bzzzz It TOTALLY trashed the array.:cry:

I rebuild the box ( after working through the drama with MSoft restore
) and realised that every time I opened a MOV file with Quicktime , it
sends a disk off line, being a little dearing I attempted to do it while
a disk was already off line ( theoritically killing the array) but it
just reported the error and kept going. Eventually it had reported that
all of the disks had failed but by some fluke ( or poor coding ) it was
only the first disk that it maked as bad, the rest maintained the array.
Do not attempt this with your RAID 0 as there are not to many redundant
disks

I have not found a fix but have found heaps of posts like yours but not
with intel only nVidia.

I am running a ASUS P5N32E SLI Plus, 3 * 320 Gb Segate SATA in Raid 5,
2Gb Ram with Vista x64 Ultimate.

Clod

--
clod