Old March 2nd 08, 10:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Paul

Default Lost Encryption key

Thanks Ronnie. It's not the end of the world. I can manage. If it were
truly earth shattering, I'd a put it in several locations. I know I had it
on a USB drive but that one bit the dust.
I will live. Thanks for your info.

Paul

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote in message
Paul

Your 'serious lesson' isn't over yet. g

The only way you can retrieve the encryption key is to be logged onto the
encrypted system with the account that encrypted the drive.

This software is designed to recover EFS encrypted files.

Password recovery, forensics, system and security software from Elcomsoft
Co.Ltd. - Advanced EFS Data Recovery:
http://www.crackpassword.com/products/prs/mswin/efs/

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Paul" wrote in message
I reinstalled Vista and wiped my encryption key......yeah I know, a
complete
idiot.
A few questions. First, I did have an image backup that I'm not using
but
kept as security. It's on the backup but I have no idea where it might
be
or what to ever search for. Where is it normally save.......my
documents?
Second, if I can't get it from my image backup, is there any way to
override
it? What I have is encrypted are some passwords for a few bank accounts.
Most I remember but some that I never use I may need in the future.
This has taught me a serious lesson!