Old March 3rd 08, 09:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Default Deleting Vista Search Folders

PVC

Also, something else to consider when working with the Search virtual
folders. You can delete the search folder OK, without any issues, but If you
delete a file or multiple files from that folder, the actual original file
will also be deleted.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"pvc" wrote in message
news

Keith Miller \(MVP\);633510 Wrote:
You do realize they're just 1K files, right? So if you goal is to
reclaim
drive space this ain't gonna do it

Also, though I can't swear to it, I think I read that all searches are
based
on the 'Everywhere' or 'Indexed Locations' searches. I'm not sure if
will still work if you delete these.

That being said, searches are files with a .search-ms extension. The
only
catch is that 'Everywhere' and 'Indexed Locations' have their hidden &
read-only attributes set. So the following two commands will do the
trick:

del *.search-ms (most of the searches)
del /ahr *.search-ms ('Everywhere' and 'Indexed Locations')

Extra Credit: Using a shortcut to Notepad in your Send To folder, open
saved search in Notepad to view the underlying XML

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]

That works great! Thanks Keith.

I am deleting these for privacy purposes and not to reclaim disk space.

My (Everywhere) search still works with these folders deleted. I use
the slow search (which is fine for my purposes) because I also changed
my indexing properties (for privacy purposes) to index nothing (no disk,
no folders). Thanks again for your help.

--
pvc