HD Partitioned into 2 drives,now i want to combine but vista wont allow

Old November 9th 06, 08:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
XD

Default HD Partitioned into 2 drives,now i want to combine but vista wont allow

Howdy all
I have a 160gb drive,its split into two partitions,first 95gb and second is
57gb.First is drive e and second is drive f,i have vista installed into
drive f which shows as primary/boot/active,the blank 97gb is drive e which
just lists as primary partition. I am using computer management to try and
extend drive f to take drive e's space but i just get a disk out of space
message.Is there a way to do this or do i have to just reinstall and
partition from the installer?Thanks!

Old November 10th 06, 12:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Rick Rogers

Hi,

To take over drive e, you'd have to delete the existing partition and expand
f into the resulting free space by right clicking it and using that option.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Old November 10th 06, 12:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
peter

I use BootITNG
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html
download it
Expand it to a floppy/CDRW
start system with floppy in place
when it starts Do NOT install...run it from the floppy.
On the next screen go to Partition Work......delete the not used partition
then expand the other
partition to take up the now uppartitioned space.
exit.......remove floppy and reboot

Have done this so many times under XP...and never lost anything.
peter

Old November 10th 06, 01:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
XD

I tried expanding,it wont let me expand backwards to that partition,just
forwards,if that makes any sense.

Old November 10th 06, 01:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Rick Rogers

Hi,

Did you remove the partition first?