Old March 17th 08, 04:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Default "Documents" folder hidden

Sorry, I just tested & you have to clear them together:

attrib -s -h Documents (you only need quotes if there is a space in the
name)

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]

"Bob L." wrote in message
Keith,
I unhid system files and, yes, there is a desktop.ini file with the
contents you listed in my folder (the file on the E drive is now named
"Documents" rather than new folder as last night I tried doing the move
over again and this time started with a folder named "Documents"). When I
run each of the attrib commands, however, I get the following:

C:\Users\Bobe:

E:\attrib -s "Documents"
Not resetting hidden file - E:\Documents

E:\attrib -h "Documents"
Not resetting system file - E:\Documents

E:\attrib +r "Documents"
Not resetting hidden file - E:\Documents

I then copied the contents of the desktop.ini file to the clipboard,
deleted the desktop.ini file and created a new one from the clipboard.
Same thing happens when I try the attrib commands.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks again for your help,
Bob L.

Keith Miller (MVP) wrote:
Make sure Explorer is set to show both hidden & system files.

Check the folder for a desktop.ini file. It should have the following
contents:

[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell 32.dll,-21770
IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-112
IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll
IconIndex=-235

If it doesn't exist, copy the above into notepad and save in the folder
as 'desktop.ini'

Open a command prompt window, and type:

e:enter
attrib -s "New Folder"enter