Old March 22nd 08, 05:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bob

Default A New Hard Drive??

Are you running Norton's security suite?
-------
[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"w_tom" wrote in message
On Mar 20, 2:46 pm, bradleywold
wrote:
One of my computers is a Gateway desktop, that came with Vista Home
Premium. This computer has been giving me problems ever since I got it
last May. It has been giving me unexpected shut downs without warnings.
I have formated the hard drive numerous times, and finally paid Gateway
to get the restore disk so that I could do this. Well, the problem
kept continuing.

Of course the problem will continue. Why suspect a hard drive
problem? Hard drives do not cause that shutdown. Why fix what is not
broke using wild speculation? Instead, do what is stated in CSI -
follow the evidence.

Hardware that can cause that shutdown is limited to CPU, some
motherboard functions, only a small section of memory, video
processor, sound card, and the power supply 'system' (which is much
more than just a power supply). Notice items not listed include hard
drive (CD-rom, modem, NIC, keyboard, etc).

Now, two facts you must provide. First, what does the system
(event) log report?

Second, what are power system voltages as describes in a less than
two minute procedure entitled "When your computer dies without
warning....." starting 6 Feb 2007 in the newsgroup alt.windows-xp
at:
http://tinyurl.com/yvf9vh
Connector chart to locate each color:
http://www.hardwarebook.net/connecto.../atxpower.html

In your case, most important numbers are on any one of orange, red,
purple, and yellow wires when computer is multitasking (accessing
everything simultaneously).

BTW, what is the CPU - Intel or AMD - since Intel CPUs simply slow
down when too hot.

Finally, a third useful procedure performed while waiting for
replies on those numbers. Heat is not a reason for failure. Heat is
a diagnostic tool. If heat is causing intermittent failures today,
then defective hardware will probably be getting worse in months.
While executing manufacturer comprehensive diagnostics (which Gateway
does not provide due to being a less responsible manufacturer) or
diagnostics from each above component manufacturer (video processor,
sound card, etc), heat those components with a hair dryer in highest
heat setting. Selectively put each components in more ideal (pig
heaven happy) temperatures. If that component is defective, then heat
in combination with the diagnostic may identify that defective
component. Only then are we ready to fix something.

Disk drive obviously is not the source of failure. Gateway tech
(and others) should have known that.