Old April 8th 08, 10:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
BadMouth

Default ATIKMDAG.SYS

::How to prevent “-Driver failed to respond “Atikmdag.sys, but has
recovered-” message.::
::First my systems specs:::
::--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------::
:ELL DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E4500, 2200 MHz::
::MB: Intel G33::
::Ram: DDR2 SDRAM Dual Channel 2 sticks at 1 gig each.::
::PSU: 300 watts::
::1 DVD drive::
::1 Floppy::
::2 SATA drives 500 – 200 gigs respectively::
::GPU: ATI HD 2600 XT, 512mb::
::Monitor: Dell E228WFP LCD Digital + Analog signals 22inch.::
::System: Vista Premium 32bit::
::----------------------------------------------------------------------------------::
::AMD Athlon 64 3200+ custom made.::
::MB: Abit KN8::
::Ram: DDR3 DIM 1 stick at 2 gigs.::
::PSU: 450 watts::
::1 DVD drive::
::1 Floppy::
::1 SATA drive 200 gigs::
::1 IDE drive 100 gigs::
::GPU: Nvidia BFG 8600 GT, 512mb::
::Monitor: Gateway FPD1810 LCD Digital + Analog signals 19inch.::
::System: XP Professional 32bit::
::----------------------------------------------------------------------------------::
::After a couple of weeks battling this error type, from viewing over
55 or so forums, and over 1000s posts and trying out some of the
following promising leads to fix this error:::
::1. Downloading and installing ONLY the ATI driver software.::
::2. Editing the registry.::
::3. Removing a stick of ram.::
::4. Trying a more powerful PSU.::
::5. Removing and replacing devices one at a time such as hard drive,
etc…::
::6. Buying extra cooling fans.::
::7. Throw the dam ATI card into the trash bin.::
:id all of the above, except the seventh one, was not ready to give
up that easy!::
::Most posts that I have read from the ATI (RED TEAM) that it was not
there drivers causing this issue. In addition, Nvidia (GREEN TEAM) for
some Nvidia users has posted similar responses. Their remedy to fix this
problem was to remove one stick of ram, buy a new PSU, Buy a new
motherboard, or ‘what the heck buy a completely new PC’ LOL!::
::My Instructions are too long to post within this thread, therefore I
created a link to my instructions for those who are having crashes after
crashes and message pop ups, and cannot wait for ATI team members to
come out of their holes and fix this issue.::
::For those who are curious as to what my instructions did for me here
are the before and after results:::
::Befo::
::On my average day of computer time, I would receive about 20 blue
screens, 67 crashes, 111 ATIKMDAG.SYS message pop ups, all totaling up
to 198 reboots. ::
::NOTE: Not including (Catalyts Control Center) software package.::
::After:::
::After doing my steps, I went from 20 blue screens down to zero, 67
crashes down to zero, 111 \"ATIKMDAG.SYS\" message pop ups down to zero,
with a total of zero reboots.::
::NOTE: Including (Catalyts Control Center) software package.::
::I say “WHAT A DAM DIFFERENCE”. ::
::Your results will vary depending on your system, card, and driver
versions you pick and use within my instructions.::
::The instructions are found he 'RapidSha 1-Click Webhosting'
(http://rapidshare.com/files/10595040..._Solved.pdf)::
::Note: I am keeping them up only for a week or two, therefore if you
are curious whether you will benefit from my instructions I suggest you
grab it before it is too late. You will also need Adobe Reader to view
them, which you can download and install on your own.::
::Assumption to the problem:::
::The ATI kernel driver is crashing because one or more of its relative
components are sending a false value sent by the video card, or by
DirectX 9/10 interface, thereby causing the kernel to crash.::
::This false value or data is sent after the signal of the LCD monitor
has changed, or when initializing DirectX 9/10 interface components and
or vice versa.::
::It is not a Vista problem, or an XP problem, nor a hardware
problem.::
::Is it the drivers?::
::You betcha it is!::

::Conclusion to the problem:::
::To the (ATI (RED TEAM)) and (Nvidia (GREEN TEAM )) I hope you will
STOP cramming so much crap into these drivers just so you can save space
and a little time and money. As you can see what I had to go through
just to make these dam drivers work with my card. Instead of cramming
all drivers for all the cards into one package, you should have special
driver packages for a particular or similar card models. This also will
save time in debugging hard problems such as this type, because you will
not need to test every dam driver and or card model. A package such as
this is not destined to fit all, PERIOD.::
::I suggest both teams should look into this problem very deeply,
instead of guiding customers to false theory such as buying a new
powerful PSU. As you can see, my DELL has a 300-watt PSU throwing 22
amps at a +12 volt rating enough to run all my devices and more. This
annoying error and crashes also occurred in an XP system using a 450
PSU, BAH!::

::B.M::

--
BadMouth