Old April 20th 08, 08:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
t-4-2[_98_]

Default Cannot Delete file in Vista

Rana P;640965 Wrote:
Hi

As suggested here is a new post from the original post at:
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-file-m...folders-3.html

OK didn't know it was such a big hassle to delete a file in Vista. I am
using Windows Vista Home Premium, on a Dell inspiron - 32 bit - Intel
Core2
duo CPU - Memory Ram 2046 MB

I had downloaded a video file on my desktop, but cancelled it before
the
dowload was completed and the file remained on the desktop. When I
tried to
right click and click delete or move it a window pops up "Calculating
time
remaining" and keeps on calculating don't know what!

I have tried to "Take Ownership" using the instructions at
'Add \"Take Ownership\" to right-click menu in Vista'
(http://www.petri.co.il/add-take-owne...menu-vista.htm) - can
go to
the file click on take ownership - a window pops up
"c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" with the command prompt flashing.

I tried : Control Panel Administrative Tools - System Config
Continue
through User Account Controls prompt Select Tools - Scroll down and
select Disable UAC Click Launch - Reboot machine - tried to delete
"Calculating time remaining"

After UAC I tried to change permissions takeown icacls - but was
unsucessful

On one of the forums someone suggested I try Total Commander so
downloaded
and tried that but NO GO

On one of the MS site I submitted my query and they sent a hotfix file

which I had to zip and install but........... that also did not fix the
problem!

Just want to delete a video file, please help.

Hello Rana,
Here is a different version of Take Ownership. Pick ** method one ** to
install.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...ship-file.html

--
t-4-2