One simple task - Create and rename a folder - HOW!

Old July 28th 07, 03:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Oldgoat

Default One simple task - Create and rename a folder - HOW!

Malke, sorry about the incomplete info.

I have partitioned the HD.
Drive C: I have the OS. I don't touch that part.
Drive D: I have all my pics, videos etc.
When I try to create new folders on D: I get
the 'File or Folder' does not exist and the
folder is still created with the name New Folder
and each new folder is given the next higher
number:
ie: New Folder1
New Folder2 etc.
I can add or remove files from these folders
or even delete them. BUT I can't rename....
Thanks

Oldgoat
Old July 28th 07, 04:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Malke

Oldgoat wrote:
Malke, sorry about the incomplete info.

I have partitioned the HD.
Drive C: I have the OS. I don't touch that part.
Drive D: I have all my pics, videos etc.
When I try to create new folders on D: I get
the 'File or Folder' does not exist and the
folder is still created with the name New Folder
and each new folder is given the next higher
number:
ie: New Folder1
New Folder2 etc.
I can add or remove files from these folders
or even delete them. BUT I can't rename....
Thanks

With what program did you partition your hard drive? It sounds as though
you don't have the correct permissions set on that drive or on the
folders on it. Did you attempt to move your User folders there? If yes,
how did you do it? Were you ever able to create folders on that
partition? If yes, what changed?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Old August 2nd 07, 10:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 15:34:23 -0000, Oldgoat wrote:

Malke, sorry about the incomplete info.

I have partitioned the HD.
Drive C: I have the OS. I don't touch that part.
Drive D: I have all my pics, videos etc.
When I try to create new folders on D: I get
the 'File or Folder' does not exist and the
folder is still created with the name New Folder
and each new folder is given the next higher
number:
ie: New Folder1
New Folder2 etc.

That looks like a bug - IOW, the operation is successful but the
shell's "knowledge" is not updated to add an awareness of the
newly-created folder, so it cannot be presented to you for your choice
of name to be applied.

I can add or remove files from these folders
or even delete them. BUT I can't rename....

Interesting - you can navigate into them and work within them, but you
can't rename them? It what way do attempts to rename, fail...
- can't find "old name" therefore can't rename it
- can't rename "old name" because it is in use
....?

BTW, to clarify what Malke said about "Vista changes the file system":

Windows Explorer is not a file system browser, it is a namespace
browser. The namespace is a collection of items within folders,
whereas the file systems are a collection of PCs, drive letters,
directories and files, nested accordingly.

Not all folders are directories. Some are not directories at all
(e.g. "My Computer" or "Network"), others are modified views of
multiple directories ("Recycled"), others are modified views of the
contents of a single file, and others do correspond to actual
directories, but via different navigation (e.g. Users\You\Documents
vs. wherever the corresponding directory really is)

With this in mind, the first thing I'll ask is whether the folder you
are testuing these things, is a "normal" directory, or a namespace
object that may or may not also be a directory.

To one who only has a hammer,
everything looks like a nail