Old June 11th 08, 05:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

Default Upgrade 8GB RAM for 680i SLI Mobo with Vistax64~

In addition to the other comments, you need to be aware that just because
the mobo specs say that it supports 8GB of ram and that it supports 1066 ram
does NOT mean that it will support 8GB of 1066 ram.

It may only support 8GB of 800 or 667 ram but 4GB of 1066. It is all too
frequent a problem with current mobos. It almost certainly won't work with
stock settings. The best thing to do is get on the mobo mfg's user forum
and start asking questions and reading threads. Also, look for the test
reports on the mfg's website so you can see what configurations have been
tested for each brand of ram.

If you are going for a fully populated board with 2x1GB sticks, then you are
not going to be able to do it at the top rated speed supported by the mobo.
The current memory controller drivers and BIOS aren't cutting it on consumer
mobos in that configuration.

"Abiosis" wrote in message

Hi,I'm thinking about upgrade to 8GB RAM for my system (680i SLI Mobo)
with VUx64....

'Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
(PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory'
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227289)

Can my mobo handle these 8GB ram with 1066?

please enlighten,thanks~~~

--
Abiosis

Intel® CoreT 2 Extreme QX6850 (8MB,3.67GHz overclocked)
Windows Vista® Ultimate 64-Bit SP1
nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB
500GB-Seagate 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s,16MB Cache
Western Digital 750GB External Hard Drive
4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz-4 DIMMs
Sound Blaster® X-FiT XtremeGamer
Logitech® Z-5500 THX-Certified 505-Watt 5.1 Digital Surround
Logitech® MXT Revolution Cordless Laser Mouse
Dell UltraSharpT 2707WFP LCD
PSU:1,000W
3DMark Vantage:6,023
3DMark06 Professional :12,950(1920X1200)