Is there a way to remove codecs

Old August 21st 07, 03:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Jorn[_2_]

Default Is there a way to remove codecs

I'm having trouble with media player 11, and I think it's becaus there are a
lot of corrupted codecs on my computer... it's not playing avi files, and
MP-11 crashes during other movie playbacks. Is there anyone who knows how to
remove the codecs from my pc.

Reg,

Jorn
Old August 22nd 07, 08:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
G.Born

I'm having trouble with media player 11, and I think it's becaus there are
lot of corrupted codecs on my computer... it's not playing avi files, and
MP-11 crashes during other movie playbacks. Is there anyone who knows how
remove the codecs from my pc.

Open Control Panel using Start menu - Use the option "Uninstall programs"
and have a lock, whether there are entries to uninstall Codec packs.

The other way is a bit more fuzzy. If you know the name and location of a
DirectShow filter (Decoder for instance), you can unregister it using
regsvr32.exe / "DSFilter-name". This requires administrator rights.

Hope that helps (and I hope the options named above are right, because I'm
working here on a German Vista).

Regards

G. Born

Old August 23rd 07, 08:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
ich

Hey,

Install K-Lite Codec pack.
This has an option to detect broken codecs and will remove them. It also has
a feature to uninstall the crappy QuickTime and Realplayer software.
A second way is to get G-Spot and take a look into the list of codec. Broken
codecs will be highlighted red.

Hansjörg

Old August 23rd 07, 10:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
dzomlija[_14_]

MP11 crashing when playing AVI files isn't necesarily the fault of the
codec.

I've had cases where DivX movies play fine, then without warning, I get
a crash. I also thought that this might be a codec problem, but after
testing various codec packs on numerous machines, and even doing a
complete reload of the os, it was eventually discovered to be the file
being played that is killing the codec.

-Sometimes- changing the FourCC code from DivX to XVid or vice versa
helped.

I haven't had this problem since moving to 64-Bit codecs and using
WMP11 64-Bit.

The 'Vista Codec Package' (http://www.jtow.net/users/triess/) works
miracles. It's the only pack I now have installed.

--
dzomlija

____________________________________
Peter Alexander Dzomlija
Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? And as
you die, so shall I be Reborn...
Old August 24th 07, 03:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
MDOC[_10_]

dzomlija;431220 Wrote:
I haven't had this problem since moving to 64-Bit codecs and using WMP11
64-Bit.

The 'Vista Codec Package' (http://www.jtow.net/users/triess/) works
miracles. It's the only pack I now have installed.

Question: Why would I need this pack installed? Or, if you should
remove the pack, what have you lost?

--
MDOC
Old August 24th 07, 07:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
dzomlija[_16_]

I use this pack because it's the only one out there that I've found that
provides pure 64-Bit codec support.

64-Bit is more efficient at what it does than 32-Bit. You're asking
what do I lose if I remove it? I lose performance, and the the ability
for Windows Explorer to show the thumbnails of some videos, something
that a 32-Bit codec cannot provide in 64-Bit Windows.

--
dzomlija

Old September 20th 07, 04:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
zachd [MSFT]

What are the fault buckets for the crashes encountered here--
http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#bucket
? Those should still be reviewable, and that information might help others.
=\

--
Speaking for myself only.