Old July 23rd 08, 10:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Siegfried Glaser

Default Cannot write to drive "Media is write protected"

"bogus83" wrote:

Hi again. Sorry to post a question and then answer it myself, but I saw
the question come up in a few other places and thought I'd post the
solution I found here, in case anyone else came looking. Checkdisk did
not do the trick. I had to use Diskpart.

From a cmd prompt, I ran "diskpart". I selected the drive, and then
the volume, then ran "Attributes volume clear readonly". Immediately I
was able to set security permissions and am currently downloading my new
Ubuntu disc at 900kb/s.

Note: I have not yet rebooted, so I'm not sure if this solution will
persist, or if the problem will randomly occur again. I am using SP1
also, in case anyone is interested.

--
bogus83

Thanks to "bogus83" for sharing the solution using diskpart.
Worked like a charm.

On my Vista x64 machine the problem occured after I tried to copy all files
from a drive named "Medien 1" to a folder, also named "Medien 1", on a
different drive. I received an error, telling me something along the lines of
"the target folder is a subfolder of the source folder".
After shaking my head in resignation I renamed the target folder and tried
again. Seeing that the process would take longer than expected, I canceled
the operation, leaving the task for the following day. When I started my
computer the next day to try again, I received the mentioned error message.

Coincidence? Maybe. Annoying? Definitely!