Vista and my Printer

Old August 28th 07, 01:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
KiraNirvanna

Default Vista and my Printer

Okay, I have a slightly older HP all-in-one Printer from about two years ago.
It's a good printer. Recently though our computer of roughly the same age
decided it was done running.
We replaced her with a Vista Laptop. Our printer though -technically- still
works. There's just one problem. The disc won't install on the laptop. The
error that comes up says that it can't run as administrator and to correct
the issue I needed to log in as the administrator. Well, I only have the
administator account.

What can I do? I really need my printer back.
Old August 28th 07, 02:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

A manufacturer supplied CD from two years ago is NOT going to have the Vista
drivers you need. That's why you can't install the software.

Go to the printer manufacturers web site and download the specific Vista
drivers for your particular printer.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Old August 28th 07, 08:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dave

My "old" HP 6110 works ok (just the basic functions) with the Vista drivers.
My HP Director software is not compatible with Vista.

You need to check the HP site to see if they have updated software for your
model printer.
They are not going to update it for my version ;-(

Old March 4th 08, 12:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
enewbold[_3_]

Richard, that is *not* a good response. Vista Home Premier is shipped
to us with what's *-supposed to be-* a good driver for the HP Officejet
6110. It doesn't work. Don't you think Microsoft has a responsibility to
test the drivers they are releasing to us, the poor unsuspecting general
public?

Why do I have to fight with HP (yes, I -fought- with them for over
two hours last night on the telephone, with no satisfaction!) to get
them to update their driver (fat chance)? Why should I have to throw
away my perfectly good working printers simply because you produce a new
operating system (one that I'm -forced- into using, whether I want to or
not, when I purchase a new computer now)?

Why can't *you* get Microsoft to look into this pressing issue for us
and get a quick fix to this driver for a very popular machine?

Ed Newbold, Columbus, OH

Old March 4th 08, 01:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dave

Ed,
I don't see your original post (if you had one) about problems with your
printer. I have a HP 6110 and it works fine with the Vista drivers.
But, HP didn't update the HP Director software for it, so some of the
features don't work as they did before. (Like pressing the Scan button
opening the scan software).

But it still prints, scans & faxes just fine.

Since I have Vista Home Premium (I don't know if you meant Premium or
Ultimate), I had to purchase some scanning software (VueScan). I don't send
many faxes, so I can do that manually.

--
Dave, AEP customer
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

Old March 4th 08, 04:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mike Hall - MVP[_2_]

Richard Urban;436419 Wrote:
A manufacturer supplied CD from two years ago is NOT going to have the
Vista
drivers you need. That's why you can't install the software.

Go to the printer manufacturers web site and download the specific
Vista
drivers for your particular printer.

Regards,
Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

--
enewbold

It is a good driver, but more of a generic driver than the full package
which HP have decided they will not produce..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Old March 5th 08, 11:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
RalfG[_3_]

HP did exactly the same thing with drivers when XP came out. For models
that HP intended to not support under the new OS stripped down drivers were
provided with the OS instead. Much like what Nvidia did with Voodoo drivers
for XP after they bought out the 3dfx company. Functionality was lost but at
least the printers were still usable. Many HP scanner owners were not so
lucky.

Old March 6th 08, 12:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mike Hall - MVP[_2_]

Richard Urban;436419 Wrote:
A manufacturer supplied CD from two years ago is NOT going to have the
Vista
drivers you need. That's why you can't install the software.

Go to the printer manufacturers web site and download the specific
Vista
drivers for your particular printer.

Regards,
Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

--
enewbold

It is a good driver, but more of a generic driver than the full package
which HP have decided they will not produce..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..
http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm
Mike's Window - My Blog..

I was one of the not so lucky HP scanner owners, and yes, a few things broke
with the entrance of XP

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..