Vista Banter

-   Windows Vista File Management (http://www.vistabanter.com/windows-vista-file-management/)
-   -   Vista Documents folder redirected (http://www.vistabanter.com/70540-vista-documents-folder-redirected.html)

Jo Himself September 6th 07 11:32 AM

Vista Documents folder redirected

Good afternoon

I have deployed Vista to our workstations and set the folder redirection in
the mandatory profile. The "Documents" folder redirects to the fileserver as
does "Music", "Videos" etc.

This functions perfectly from the end user perspective but when I log on to
the fileserver and look at the "users" folder all I can see are folders
called "Documents". The folders used to be named after the username of the
users and indeed when I type \\fileserver\users\randomUsername it comes up
with randomUser's files. The thing is I think its messing up our FTP access
and makes administration rather too complicated.

Thanks for any help anyone can be.

Jo

kws[_2_] September 6th 07 03:37 PM

Vista Documents folder redirected

I have not tried it using a server, but I noticed that on the local
machine the redirection "hides" the real name of a directory and always
shows it as Documents as well.

One workaround would be to set up the redirection to the server with an
additional level. On the server set up something like:
\users\joe\Documents

Setting the real folder names to Documents would mean that whichever
way you refer to it you get to the same place.

--
kws