Old August 31st 08, 02:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Paul Montgomery[_3_]

Default Why does it take over 3 minutes

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 07:29:37 -0400, "Hank Arnold (MVP)"
wrote:

As a related question.... Is it possible to automate the deletion of all
except the last n restore points? I support about 125 computers at a
local Hospice and virtually all of them are shared computers that simply
load the OS and then execute a Citrix ICA client to connect to the
server. Their desktop and all apps are on the server.

Restore points almost serve no purpose. I might consider 1 or 2 as
potentially useful. If this can't be done, I'm leaning towards turning
the feature off completely.....

I'm no automate gury...

I have System Restore set to only accept manual restore points
(Windows updates still set them, as do some driver updates etc.).

Using the "vssadmin" function in the article referred by "barman" to
limit the size of the space reserved by System Restore is fine - I've
used it on this machine - but it won't be fun if you have to do it 125
times.

You might look into making the regedit changes on one machine, export
those changes to a .REG file and then install that file each machine.