Old September 9th 08, 07:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
James Hahn[_2_]

Default Vista Indexing Question

DISABLING Windows Search (indexing) DOES disable indexing. But it does not
remove the markers on the drives indicating what is indexed. I think most
users would be upset if their carefully arranged indexing options were wiped
out simply because they had disabled the service, for instance to run a
process such as backup. People expect the settings to be remembered and to
be automaically re-instated when indexing is re-enabled.

"LoneStar" wrote in message

"Paul Montgomery" wrote in message
Got a surprise for ya. Disable search service. Now go check the box
on one of your drives/partitions to have it indexed.

I don't mean to be argumentative........... but if DISABLING Windows
(indexing) does NOT disable indexing, then what the Hell is Microsoft
doing?
What is the point of disabling is it doesn't "disable?"

I hope you're wrong. I've disabled Windows Search, but still see the
checkmark for indexing on my Vista drives. I hope this doesn't mean that
indexing is, in fact, active. If so, then disabling Windows Search is
worthless. What's the point?? Surely my beloved Microsoft isn't that
lame!