Old September 16th 08, 05:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Banjoguy

Default "Logon Process has failed to create the security options dialog." Error Message

jra1;837498 Wrote:
sorry for the bump, but didn't want to create a new thread about this...
also sorry if this has been answered fully somewhere else but as is the
nature of the problem I don't exactly have long to search!

i'm really confused by this problem because I haven't used my laptop
for a week, it's just been idling running, I occasionally use msn on it
and I watched a dvd, but apart from that it hasn't been used. However
this morning I started getting this problem.

I'm not really that good with computers, i've run a chkdsk and it has
shown errors but I can't work out how to fix them haha... it says "Run
chkdsk with the /F (fix) option to correct these" but i'm not 100% sure
what that means and don't really wanna just start playing around with
it.

incase it helps, the errors it found were -
The master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute is incorrect.
The Volume Bitmap is incorrect.
Windows found problems with the file system.

any help will be much appreciated...

EDIT: it's a Sony Vaio VGN-NR21Z

Hi. Sorry to see you're having this problem. I did allow CHDSK to
correct the errors. That worked for me. I'm not sure but it seems to me
that if important system files have errors that could cause the problem
you see. From watching the "Processes" window in Task Manager I have
found that winlogon process runs continuously. If an important system
file becomes corrupted I suspect that could cause winlogon to hit a bump
in the road.

It's your choice but I wouldn't worry about having CHDSK correct any
errors it finds.

--
Banjoguy