Old September 22nd 08, 01:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_4_]

Default Dual head video card requires both mon turned on during boot

Since the Geoforce 4 chips do not have built in DX9 support many Vista
features will not work or will not work properly.
"james" wrote in message
Many video card with with two outputs have a bad habbit of disabling one
of the output if the attached monitor is off during boot. I use one
monitor most of the time and want to use two occasionally. To have to turn
on both during boot is a pain.

In win XP, this problem can sometimes be overcome by choosing generic SVGA
instead of PnP monitor.

Now, I'm running vista and this trick doesn't work. I'm using an old
Geforce4 440 MX card with microsoft driver.

Is there another solution to this problem?
If I buy a new card (also with 2 outputs), is there some card that comes
without this problem?

Or, is there a fake monitor simulator that I can plug in the video port
between my monitor and the computer so it thinks the monitor is on?