3D Flip correlated to Resolution...Fix?

Old October 10th 06, 06:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ali G

Default 3D Flip correlated to Resolution...Fix?

Currently running Vista 64 bit on my Dell E510 2.8g Dual Core Pentium.

It runs like a charm, but I have this annoying problem with 3D flip.

Aero, glassy windows, and 3D Flip all work great at lower resolutions, but I
want to maximize my desktop space. The highest it works on is 1024*768, if I
put it any higher, the windows are no longer glassy and flip 3D automatically
reverts back to the classic way of flipping though current programs.

I'm assuming that getting a higher end video card will easily resolve that
(currently have ATI Radeon 550 128mb I think). What I'm more curious about
is if switching to vista 32 bit, will allow me to go to higher resolutions
while maitaining the ability to use Aero/Flip 3d.

thanks for your help.
Old October 10th 06, 07:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Alejo

i dont think so! look in "check your computers performance" and see how your
graphics card is rated. my guess is that is low. partly because it only has
128Mb RAM. i am also assuming you only have about 512Mb RAM on your machine,
you may want to look at more RAM maybe another 512 stick. i think that maybe
the better option unless you do alot of graphic type stuff (gaming, Video
etc.) if you havent had a need for a better graphics card until now i would
look into more RAM then.

Old October 10th 06, 09:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mark W Scheidell

You may want to consider either more RAM or a better video card. Vista x64
does want more RAM than x86.

My screen resolution is 1920 x 1200 with a 256mb card - Vista still wants to
grab another 256 mb from physical RAM to supplement the vid card. If you
look closely at your performance scores you'll probably see that Vista has
taken some of your RAM to support your graphics card, thereby leaving Vista
with even less RAM to run on. This may be why flip and aero are coming and
going as you raise and lower the resolution.