New display driver worse than VGA standard

Old October 12th 06, 10:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
pjcnyc

Default New display driver worse than VGA standard

Hi,

I have installed Vista on a fairly old laptop - an Acer Aspire 1360 with
onboard Graphics. All is OK initially, with the 'Standard VGA' adapter
driver, and I am able to use the full 1280x800 widescreen native resolution.

However, Microsoft now have a 'High Priority' update for me, which is the
'correct' display adapter driver. Unfortunately, when this driver is loaded,
the max resolution available to me is 800x600. I can (and did) rollback to
the Standard VGA driver, and all was OK, but then Auto-update 'helpfully'
re-updated me to the 'new' driver.

I want to leave auto-update enabled for any security-related updates (and so
Windows Live OneCare stays 'green', not 'red'), but this seems to be
impossible.

Is there any way to disallow a *specific* update from Windows Update?

Many thanks in advance!

-Paul.