Windows media center problem with "TV Box"

Old September 16th 07, 04:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Musicmasteria

Default Windows media center problem with "TV Box"

I bought a usb tv tuner for my computer and tryed to use it with windows
media center (WMC). It found the device in WMC and went into a set up thing.
The problem is, when i enter my county (USA) it says it isn't supported by
the hardware... well "TV box" is supposed to work with NTSC_M and if I'm not
mistaken, USA's main video format is NTSC_M...

The product can be found here but was bought from ebay:
http://www.amazon.com/Cables4PC-Mini...9958066&sr=8-7

This product is poorly supported by the company that made it (their name
isn't even on it). I don't know what to do other than return it but because
it is from ebay there could be some problems in that.

Any ideas on how to fix this problem?
Old September 16th 07, 04:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cal Bear '66

Vista is not listed in the supported OSs. Are there Vista drivers available?

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

Old September 16th 07, 04:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Musicmasteria

I can't find any drivers other than the one that came with it on a cd. If
anyone knows were i could find one that would be great.

Old September 16th 07, 05:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cal Bear '66

Checking the "downloads" page at the following site, it appears that there are
NO Vista drivers available:

http://www.sinovideo.com.cn/en/p/15/

Even searching for Vista drivers for the chipset did not return any results.

Perhaps, if at all possible, your best option is to return the device.

Old September 16th 07, 05:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Musicmasteria

Well i desided i would try it on my xp. The stuff works and i'm getting a
video on my tv. so far so good. Now i need media center for xp. Were can i
get that?

Old September 16th 07, 06:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cal Bear '66

Windows XP Media Center MUST come preinstalled on a new PC. You cannot
purchase it separately.

Does the provided CD have a WinPVR application? It will give you recording
options.

Old September 16th 07, 06:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Musicmasteria

DANG IT. got to find a way around that... The disk has windvr 3 by intervideo
and that has recording stuff so ya. Thanks for all the help. If you can find
a way to use tv box with vista media center that would be the best but untill
then, my question has been answered.

Old September 16th 07, 07:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Juarez

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 09:04:01 -0700, Musicmasteria wrote:

I bought a usb tv tuner for my computer and tryed to use it with windows
media center (WMC).

You have to buy a TV Tuner that says it is MC compatible. Lots of
them aren't.
Old September 16th 07, 07:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Juarez

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 14:08:56 -0400, Cal Bear '66 wrote:

Windows XP Media Center MUST come preinstalled on a new PC. You cannot
purchase it separately.

Yes you can. You can buy XP MC edition OEM from many places. NCIX for one.
Old September 16th 07, 07:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Juarez

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 11:24:02 -0700, Musicmasteria wrote:

DANG IT. got to find a way around that...

You can buy OEM version of XPMC edition but if your tuner is not MC
compatible it still won't work in MC. For one thing, I believe MC TV
Tuners must do decoding in hardware and not software. The cheap ones
usually do it in software.