Old October 24th 08, 08:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Paul Smith

Default Vista 32 and 64 bit dual boot

"ElHombre86" wrote in message

Hi, I have Vista 32 bit installed on my system and was wondering how do
I go about setting a dual boot with Vista 64 bit, so that I can choose
either OS at boot. I have a 500 gb hard drive and plan on using 100 or
more for the partition. Any ideas? Virtual machines are not an option!
Oh, and I do have two Vista licenses.

If you just have the one hard drive, with one large partition, assuming
you've got the space you can go into Disk Management (within Computer
Management in Administrative Tools), and right click on the particular hard
drive and select shrink volume.

The amount you can shrink depends on what sectors are where on the hard
drive, not all data can be moved, and even though you may have for example
200GB free on the drive, you may only be able to shrink the volume by say
100GB.

Once its finished shrinking the partition, (it may take some time) you can
create a new partition from Disk Management using the empty space.

Once that's done you can boot from the 64-bit disc, and install 64-bit into
the new partition.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.