XP hard drive as a slave

Old October 23rd 06, 10:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
jjohn621

Default XP hard drive as a slave

I have 2 IDE Hard Drives connected. The primary was a Windows 2003 server
install, while the second was a file storage. Both were formatted as NTFS.
After installing RC2 on the primary drive, the secondary drive shows up but
is inaccessable. It shows as Access denied (D in the "My Computer". Vista
will let me format the drive, but then I will lose all the files on the
drive. Is there any way to bring the drive into Vista without losing all the
data? If needed, I can move the data by hooking the drive up to another
computer, but I would like to avoid that if there is another way.

"JW" wrote:

Just to make sure I understand you have two HDDs on the same IDE cable. You
have the jumpers on one of them set to Master and that is the one that your
Vista installation is on. You have the jumpers on the other drive (the XP
drive) set to slave.
When you check your BIOS settings do both drives show up?
However when you boot from the Vista drive you can not see the the XP drive
in Windows Explorer and therefore can not get the data off it correct?
Of course if you can see it and can reformat it you will loose all the data
on it..
However if you can see it to reformat it I don't understand why you cannot
get the data off of it. What happens when you try to open it from Vista?

"Oliver" wrote in message
I have vista installed on the master drive. I'm trying to set up an XP hard
drive as a slave so that I can salvage documents from it. I have all of
the
jumper seetings set up the way that the hard drives direct but whenever I
try
to access the XP hard drive it asks me if I want to format it and won't
allow
me access to the files. Is there anything I can do. Would formatting the
drive erase all of the data on it?