Old November 11th 08, 11:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
[email protected]

Default Slow Reads on HD in Vista

On Nov 8, 8:52*pm, Brink wrote:
Hello Hurricane,

To be safe, I would recommend that you backup that drive first and
quickly in case it is dying on you.

You might also run the Check Disk command "chkdsk /f /r" (no quotes),
substituting that hard drive's letter, to see if it can find and fix any
corruption in it. This tutorial will help show you how to if needed.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...sk-chkdsk.html

You might also check to make sure that you have "Enable advanced
performance" checed for your hard drive to enable faster caching.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/59...ed-boosts.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

hurricane1951;881225 Wrote:

I haven't been able to find a post that describes my problem, and it's
a strange one.

I've got a problem with disk READS on one of my hard drives in Vista.
It popped up seemingly out of nowhere.

My system drive is on a separate hard drive and it seems unaffected.
My D: drive (data drive) is where the problem lies.

Folder-to-folder copies are taking about 4 minutes for a 700 MB file.
On the system drive, they take about 35 seconds.

Copying the file from C: to D: also is fast, so it doesn't appear to
writing to D:, only reading.

My Computer is set to not use icons or thumbnails.

I've defragged the drive to no effect. Also did a virus scan with
nothing found -- to be expected on a data drive.

Any clues?

--
Brink

them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*'
(http://www.vistax64.com)
*Please post feedback to help others.*- Hide quoted text -

I've tested sme things, found some unusual results.

First, I regularly do backups, so I immediately did another one. That
done, since I hadn't been mucking around in the BIOS, I'd leave that
for later and concentrate on things that were relatively easy.

I swapped in my XP boot drive to check if the drive showed the same
slowdown on reads as under Vista. It did.

I decided to replace the drive with another drive and see what the
results would be. I offloaded the contents of one of my backup drives.
These are drives I use for monthly backups, archiving, etc. They are
in external enclosures and they see very little use. I reformatted
this one and restored the contents of the backup I had just done on
the other drive. I set the "new" drive next to the existing drive,
swapped the cables, and powered up the machine.

BIOS wouldn't recognize the drive. Hmmm.

Even though I knew that drive was good, I tried another drive, the XP
boot drive I had just used for a test.

BIOS wouldn't recognize the drive.

Connected the original drive back up and BIOS properly recognized the
drive.

I stopped testing to think that one over. BIOS is the latest from the
manufacturer. I went over the BIOS settings and everything seemed
kosher. Besides, this one made no sense. Unless the BIOS was somehow
prevented from seeing new drives, and that was obviosly not true since
I'd already swapped in the XP drive and booted from it.

So I abandonded this for now to give it some more thoughts and to see
if you have any. Then I received another surprise: after rebooting
into Vista the drive's "slowdown" had disappeared.

Too many mysteries.