Old November 13th 08, 05:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Spike9458[_2_]

Default Cannot open Theme Settings, Display Settings, Screen SaverSettings, etc

On Nov 13, 12:10*pm, owain wrote:
anybody else got any ideas?
have had the same problem since i got my toshiba laptop about a year
ago!
gonna reformat/install on the weekend anyway, as the discs are at my
parents house and i keep forgetting to pick them up.
A few of the control panel options work, but i can't open themes
Also i can't open control panel from the button on the start menu
either *

It says it can't find explorer.exe or something

any help would be great

--
owain
owain's Profile:http://winvistaclub.com/forum/member.php?userid=845

Have you tried running system file checker (sfc)? I was having a
problem where none of the control panel applets were working,
including windows update. After running SFC /scannow the problem seems
to have gone away, as in my control panel applets and windows update
now work.

I am just a hack, but plan an hour or so if you do choose to run SFC,
as it does take a while. If you are not familiar with SFC, google it
and do a little research on it before running it. FYI it does come
with windows, and is run in the command line interface.

--Jim