Old November 15th 08, 02:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Brink

Default Slow Reads on HD in Vista

Hurricane,

I'm happy to hear that it seems that you have sorted the problem out.

Shawn

hurricane1951;886687 Wrote:

Problem has returned but I think I also found the cause (and the
cure).

When rebooting the BIOS now failed to identify the D: drive. Uh-oh. So
I went back inside, reseating cables as a hope against hope, but deep
down I knew the drive was dead. But its SATA cable -- a new one fresh
from a sealed bag -- didn't seem to be seated fully on the
motherboard. I KNOW I seated all these cables before. I removed the
connector, but when I tried to reseat it the connector just wouldn't
seat. It just didn't seem to want to hold its position.

So out came another SATA cable in its place. It seated fine. And now
everything seems to work tip-top. Even to the point of the BIOS
recognizing a new drive. So I have cautious optimism.

And I violated a rule I learned a long time ago: never assume the
replacement is good. I learned that lesson working on cars.

And it also reminded me of what happened to a colleague way back when.
He was rebuilding his system with a new MB. When he got done it
wouldn't work. So he went over it and over it and over it. The problem
turned out to be a defective JUMPER. When I heard that, I knew that I
would be going around for days trying to fix a problems like that. A
jumper? Who would ever question a jumper?

So, thanks for all the help. It got me thinking straight when I was
starting to get a little to frustrated.

--
Brink

them.*