'Windows Monitor' spyware??

Old September 27th 07, 05:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
MC10

Default 'Windows Monitor' spyware??

I have Windows Vista. Every now and then a very small window will pop up and
it says 'Windows Monitor' on the top. If I try and click on it, it will go
to the task bar and I can't bring it back up. If I roll my mouse on it, it
will show what's on the screen, but the screen is blank. Is this Spyware? I
did spyware and virus scans and nothing shows up, it is still coming up every
now and then.
Does anyone know what this can be?
Old September 28th 07, 12:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jesper

This could be any one of about a thousand things. Can you do this for us:

1. Hit CTRL+SHIFT+ESC
2. Find the window on the Applications tab
3. Right-click it and select Go to process
4. Hit "View|Select columns" and make sure the Command Line column is showing
5. Copy down the entire text in the command line column and reply to this
post with it.

With that we should have a far better idea. Many management tools have a
"Windows monitor" but there may be malware that does too.
---

Old September 28th 07, 01:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
MC10

I got to the process tab, select columns, but there is no command line
column. It's just a list of things with boxes in front of the item, some are
checked marked and some aren't.

Old September 28th 07, 02:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jesper

Those "things with boxes in front of them" are the columns that you display
in the main window. The fourth one from the bottom should say "Command Line".
It tells us exactly what command was executed to create that window. Make
sure it is checked. That gives you a column in the main window that says
"Command Line". The information I need is in there.
---

Old September 28th 07, 02:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
MC10

Ok got it. But what command line do you want me to copy down? There is a
list of about 22 processes on there. Is there a way to copy and paste them?
Or is there a certain one I'm looking for?

Old September 28th 07, 02:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jesper

Yeah. :-)

That was the part about going to the Applications tab first, finding the
window, right-clicking on it and selecting "go to process." That will take
you to the process that represents that window.
---

Old September 28th 07, 02:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
MC10

Ok I hope I'm not sounding stupd here, but went tp the applications tab and
the only thing that's on there is aol. As far as the process tab there are
22 pocesses listed there. don't know what to do now.
But please don't give up on me here, I can't stay on here cuz it's been so
hard keeping my eyes open here....really tired and need to get in bed so if
you can write back, I will check first thing in the morning when I wake up
and hopefullly understand more of what you're saying when I'm wide awake.
I'd like to get this solved. I will check back to your response in the
morning. I really appreciate your help. Hopefully I can get this resolved
in the morning. thank you for helping me, but dont give up please.
I'll check back in morning.

Old September 28th 07, 03:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jesper

OK. In that case, I'm going to give you a better way to troubleshoot this:
1. Go to
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...sExplorer.mspx and download Process Explorer.
2. Extract Process Explorer by right-clicking on the zip file and selecting
"Extract all"
3. Open the folder you extracted it into and run procexp.exe. It will likely
ask you whether you want to do this.
4. Right-click anywhere in the column headings, for example, on the one that
says "Process"
5. Select "Select columns..."
6. Check the boxes for "Window Title"
7. In the Window Title column, locate the window that you are concerned about.
8. Right-click it and select "Properties"
9. Select everything in the "Command line:" text box
10. Hit CTRL+C
11. Respond to this message and hit CTRL+V to paste the command line in.

It is a far easier thing to do but relies on another piece of software,
which is why I tried solving it with the built in tools to start out.

---

Old October 3rd 07, 01:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
MC10

Just now getting a chance to do this. Ok I did everything upto locating the
window that I'm concerned about. There is nothing in there that says
'Windows Monitor'. BTW right before I came to this site it came up again,
then disappeared. Is there something else I should be looking for in there?