SMC / D-LINK NIC cards not recognized by Vista

Old November 1st 06, 04:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Geoff

Default SMC / D-LINK NIC cards not recognized by Vista

My frustration with Vista has already begun. It doesn't recognize my NIC card
- I have tried two different ones. First I tried a D-Link card and then I
tried an SMC (I don't know the model number of either). Both were recognized
with XP and had onboard drivers. Because I can't get online, I can't run the
vista compatability test, or windows update etc. I'm running Build 5600 RC1.

PS I have a "Ethernet Controller", in the device manager but it can't find
drivers for that either.

If I repair / diagnose my internet connection it says that I don't have a
network adapter installed.

Any suggestions?
Old November 1st 06, 07:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
PaulB

Hi,
In device manager, select update driver, then point to your XP windows file
(if installed) and let VISTA search your computer for the driver. I had this
work in a number of cases. However, occasionally it will say it couldn't
install the driver even after it found it. Good luck.
--
Paul

Old November 3rd 06, 12:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Frank Fallon.

I generally found that Dlink has become a fairly troublesome product. Their
external modems would not work with intel chipsets and resulted in the blue
screen crash.
Their ADSL modems have been intermittent and generally faulty.
I find Belkin routers and wireless network cards work well on XP and on
Vista plus Belkin give top phone support plus a lifetime warranty on their
products.