Old December 9th 08, 06:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
LVTravel

Default Hard Drive Question

"Paper" wrote in message

Hello,

(I apologize if this is in the wrong section.) I was browsing the
internet for answers to my question, but didn't quite find what I was
looking for. It seemed as if you folks could help me.

I currently have an HP Pavilion a6110n PC running Windows Vista Home
Premium 64bit, believe. I got this computer after my old one seemed to
fry, it wouldn't boot up, and still won't. I still have the old one
because it had many valuable files on the hard drive. I believe it's a
Compaq running Windows XP. My question is: is there any way I can
retrieve the files from the hard drive? I don't care about the
programs, just the documents (text, audio, video).

I thank you in advance for any and all help.

--
Paper

The easiest way would be to remove the drive from the old computer, install
it into a USB drive enclosure that fits your drive (2.5" from a notebook or
3.5" from a desktop.) Set the drive's jumper to Master or Single drive (but
it is probably already set that way if it is the only drive of any type
attached to the cable in the old computer.)

Plug in the USB drive into the new computer's USB port. After the drive is
found you should be able to access the files from the drive. If there are
issues with permissions, you may have to take ownership of the files on the
drive. Google for "taking ownership of files"

Not knowing if you have an available IDE (ATA) connector within your HP
a6110n I don't know if you can easily install it into your computer to use
it. If there is an open IDE (ATA) connector, it can be inserted easily into
the box and then you can take ownership and use the files. (At www.HP.com
type in A6110n in the search bar for full manuals for your system.)