NTFS to FAT32 Formatting

« - | - »

Old October 7th 07, 04:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Zachary Hunt

Default NTFS to FAT32 Formatting

I have a portable hard drive that has a card reader attached also, it is for
downloading my mCF cards form my camera and should be formatted to FAT32.
A friend borrewed it andformatted it to NTFS and i can't seem to find how to
reformat it to FAT32. Any sugestions greatfully recieved.

Kind Regards
Zachary

Old October 7th 07, 04:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Malke

Zachary Hunt wrote:
I have a portable hard drive that has a card reader attached also, it is for
downloading my mCF cards form my camera and should be formatted to FAT32.
A friend borrewed it andformatted it to NTFS and i can't seem to find how to
reformat it to FAT32. Any sugestions greatfully recieved.

Back up any data on the drive and either use Disk Management to reformat
it while it is attached to the computer or use the drive mftr.'s
software to format it.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Old October 7th 07, 05:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Zachary Hunt[_2_]

Thank you Malke for your advice, the problem is my computer only has the NTFS
option to format through the disk management and the drive didn't come with
any software. I have contacted the manufacture but no reply over the weekend.

Kind Regards
Zachary

Old October 8th 07, 04:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
GreenieLeBrun

Zachary Hunt wrote:
I have a portable hard drive that has a card reader attached also, it
is for downloading my mCF cards form my camera and should be
formatted to FAT32.
A friend borrewed it andformatted it to NTFS and i can't seem to find
how to reformat it to FAT32. Any sugestions greatfully recieved.

Kind Regards
Zachary

Am I correct ing assuming your external drive is larger than ~30Gb?

Vista and XP will only permit FAT32 formatting of drives that are around
30Gb or less.

If you can get access to a Windows 98 machine then format the drive with
that.

If you do not have access to a Win98 box then :-

1. Remove the drive from the enclosure
2. Turn off your computer
3. Totally disconnect your computer's HDD/s (This is for safeties sake to
stop you from formatting your machines drives by mistake)
4. Connect the HDD from the enclosure to your motherboard and power supply
5. Obtain a Win98 boot floppy ( http://www.bootdisk.com )
6. Boot your computer from the floppy disk
7.Run FDISK and delete the partion
8. Reboot from the floppy
9. Format the HDD with the FORMAT command
10. Turn off the machine
11. Remove the HDD and replace it in the enclosure
12. Reconnect your internal HDDs
13 Do not lend the external drive to your "Friend"

Old October 8th 07, 08:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Zachary Hunt[_2_]

Hi Greenie,

Thank you win98 did it,
I have taken note of step 13 and embedded it to memory.

Kind Regards
Zachary

Old October 12th 07, 03:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Don S.[_2_]

"GreenieLeBrun" wrote:

Zachary Hunt wrote:
[...]

13 Do not lend the externaldriveto your "Friend"- Hide quoted text -

To format Western Digital portable drives in FAT32, they have a great
free utility that does it for you http://support.wdc.com/download/external/ExtFat32.zip.

Don S.

« - | - »