User Account Control

Old October 17th 07, 07:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Clair

Default User Account Control

I have new computer with Windows Vista Ultimate and I transferred all my
programs etc. into the new computer. I continue to get pop up messages every
time I try to enter certain programs telling me an unidentified program wants
access to my computer. This stops if I disable the User Account control. Is
there a way short of that to stop these annoying pop up's?

Old October 17th 07, 08:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Seth

"Clair" wrote in message

"Clair" wrote:

I have new computer with Windows Vista Ultimate and I transferred all my
programs etc. into the new computer. I continue to get pop up messages
every
time I try to enter certain programs telling me an unidentified program
wants
access to my computer. This stops if I disable the User Account control.
Is
there a way short of that to stop these annoying pop up's?

The programs in question either A) are doing something administrative (like
everytime I run GPMC.MSC) and therefore UAC is asking for confirmation or B)
the programs aren't Vista compliant and therefore are doing something they
shouldn't be doing.

Your choices are to A) live with it, B) upgrade them to Vista compliant or
C) turn off UAC.

Old October 17th 07, 08:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Chris Hughes

"Seth" wrote in message
"Clair" wrote in message

"Clair" wrote:

I have new computer with Windows Vista Ultimate and I transferred all my
programs etc. into the new computer. I continue to get pop up messages
every
time I try to enter certain programs telling me an unidentified program
wants
access to my computer. This stops if I disable the User Account
control. Is
there a way short of that to stop these annoying pop up's?

The programs in question either A) are doing something administrative
(like everytime I run GPMC.MSC) and therefore UAC is asking for
confirmation or B) the programs aren't Vista compliant and therefore are
doing something they shouldn't be doing.

Your choices are to A) live with it, B) upgrade them to Vista compliant or
C) turn off UAC.

Hi all , so how do you turn off UAC , and what are the potential problems of
doing that , because these pop-up's are painful

Regards Chris

Old October 17th 07, 10:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Seth

"Chris Hughes" wrote in message

"Seth" wrote in message
"Clair" wrote in message

"Clair" wrote:

[...]

Control Panel (Classic view) -- User accounts

Potential problems are reduced security. You are making your system
vulnerable to software being able to doing administrative tasks without your
knowledge.

Yes, safety and security are painful...

Old October 18th 07, 02:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Clair

"Seth" wrote in message
"Clair" wrote in message

"Clair" wrote:

[...]

Thanks for replies...to turn off user account, go to my computer of just computer, then to control panel, then to user accounts and there is an icon for turning user account control off or on. Thanks again. Clair

Old October 18th 07, 06:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Anthony Wieser

Default User Account Control; don't switch it off, stay secure and stop popups by changing permissions instead

"Seth" wrote in message
"Clair" wrote in message
"Clair" wrote:

programs etc. into the new computer. I continue to get pop up messages
every
time I try to enter certain programs telling me an unidentified program
wants access to my computer. This stops if I disable the User Account
control. Is there a way short of that to stop these annoying pop up's?

The programs in question either A) are doing something administrative
(like everytime I run GPMC.MSC) and therefore UAC is asking for
confirmation or B) the programs aren't Vista compliant and therefore are
doing something they shouldn't be doing.

Your choices are to A) live with it, B) upgrade them to Vista compliant or
C) turn off UAC.

You do have another option. Get a copy of process monitor from
sysinternals.com (which is now controlled by Microsoft).
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ProcessesAndThreads/processmonitor.mspx

Then, start process monitor, and filter for the program you run that causes
the problems.
Just before the user access prompt, process monitor will show you the
request that caused the prompt.

All you need to do is modify the permissions on the files. If you have
Vista Business or Ultimate, you can generally do this on the properties
page. Otherwise you'll need to use the cacls program.

In general that will stop the prompts, unless the program really is doing
something that needs administrator permissions. If it is, you might like to
ask what else it might be doing to your system, once it owns it.

Anthony Wieser
Wieser Software Ltd

Old October 18th 07, 11:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Chris Game

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 07:10:21 +0100, Anthony Wieser wrote:

All you need to do is modify the permissions on the files. If you
have Vista Business or Ultimate, you can generally do this on the
properties page. Otherwise you'll need to use the cacls program.

In general that will stop the prompts, unless the program really
is doing something that needs administrator permissions. If it
is, you might like to ask what else it might be doing to your
system, once it owns it.

One way round this might be to re-install the rogue program into the
User area rather than /Program Files/* .

--
Chris Game

Justify my text? I'm sorry but it has no excuse.

Old October 19th 07, 04:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jesper

Restarting the thread:

Clair, how did you transfer the programs? More than likely you got some kind
of strange permissions settings on them when you did that.

What I really wanted to comment on though was Seth's pointer to how to
disable UAC. While that is the normal way to do it, it is really not a good
idea. If you absolutely feel you can't live with the prompts, don't disable
UAC. Set the elevation to automatic instead. If you disable UAC you disable
protected mode in Internet Explorer, which means you run the web browser as
an admin all the time. If you instead set the elevation to automatic at least
you retain protected mode in IE.

To do that, do the following:
1. Open an elevated command prompt. You can do that by typing "command" in
the search box in the start menu, right-clicking the Command Prompt and
selecting "Run as administrator..."
2. When the command prompt comes up, cut and paste this command in and hit
enter:
reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pol icies\System /v
ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

The change takes effect immediately. If you want to set the behavior back to
the default replace "/d 0" with "/d 2".
---