Old February 28th 09, 11:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Default Can't scan over wireless network with Lexmark x4650

Unless the manufacturer specifically includes network scanning software, a
scanner (whether standalone or included in an all in one unit) is NOT
normally a networkable device. If you are connecting to an all in one with
a wireless connection, then you are connecting over a network.

You MUST check with the device manufacturer before pouring all your hard
earned cash into a wireless all in one unit to see if it will do what you
want and need it to do. T

here are such things as network scanners, Epson make some very nice ones,
starting at about $3,000. As you can see, in most cases, it is cheaper to
give multiple PCs locally connected standalone scanners instead of
purchasing a networkable one.

Besides which, there is the additional footwork involved... walking to the
scanner/all in one, placing the document in the scanning unit, walking back
to the PC, scanning the document (and hoping it comes out right first time),
walking back to the scanner/all in one unit, removing the document, walking
back to the PC. And if you don't scan it perfectly first time........ you
could get very fit in no time at all, particularly if it's not on the same
floor. If it's a multiple page document, plan on running in your local
marathon in the near future, because you'll be getting a lot of exercise.
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

"loadedlarry" wrote in message

"threev" wrote:

I have Vista Home Premium 32 bit and just installed a new Lexmark x4650
all-in-one. I can print perfectly when it is connected wirelessly
(through the printer's internal connection to the network), but it won't
recognize there is a scanner on it. If I connect it via USB, it works.
I have tried disabling both the firewall (McAfee and Windows) and the
wireless router. I can't see to find anyone who can print but not scan
over the network. Any thoughts?

--
threev