Old January 19th 07, 04:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
MR Harrington

Default WOW, it works Still Cannot Add Network Printer - Access Denied

WOW that's all I can say...it works....and the problem is XP Home vs.
Pro...I would never have thought of creating a local printer and using the
UNC path for the port....how incredible ingenious...Microsoft could not
survive without people like the author below figuring out how to make their
software work in spite of M$ best efforts...
--MRH

"sadsac" wrote in message

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread! I found this thread
after a google search, and based on the information here I've finally
been able to resolve this issue after many many months of running Vista
with no network print capability.

I had the same problem as everyone else;

A XP Home PC has a printer attached that all other computers running XP
or linux are able to access. While Vista PCs that attempt to connect to
this printer get the 'access denied' error, even though file sharing
otherwise works.

So I did what is suggested in this thread. I added the printer driver
on the Vista PC, using control panel/printers/add printer/local
printer. Vista had the driver for the printer in its table of
selectable printer drivers. I chose LPT1 as the local port even though
the PC in question doesn't even have LPT1 active in the BIOS.

Now, after installing the driver, you DON'T just go back to the 'add
printer wizard' and try to add a network printer again - you'll get the
same 'access denied' error.

What you do is select (right click) the newly installed printer, choose
properties, ports, add port. Then manually add a new Local Port with:

\\computer_name\shared_printer_name

as the port name. In my case, the port name for the printer on my XP
Home PC is \\danscomputer\hpdeskje

Make sure you select this newly created port as the active port for the
printer.

Then I printed some pages, and it worked!

Thanks again to all the contributors to this thread!

--
sadsac
sadsac's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=19235

http://www.techarena.in