C Drive Memory

Old October 21st 07, 05:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
jereko73

Default C Drive Memory

I just had a computer built w/ Vista Home Premium. After loading my music,
pictures and other files from my other computer it says that I am using 80 GB
of memory. I only loaded just over 30 GB of files. What happened to the other
50 or so GB? I looked through all the files to make sure there were not
double copies, etc. and looked at program files and all users files. Nowhere
do I see files adding up to nearly 80 GB. Any idea what happened to my memory?
Old October 21st 07, 12:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rick Rogers

Hi,

To be clear, it's drive space and not memory. Memory is the amount of
physical and virtual ram used/installed on a system. C:\ is your hard drive
volume used for storage of data.

There are many things that can take up space. Among them are the virtual
memory (paging file), hibernating file (hiberfil.sys), and system restore
and shadow copies (and this is a HUGE one).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Old October 21st 07, 11:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
jereko73

Hi -

Thanks for the reply. Is there a way for me to see my drive space allocation
without having to go through all of the files on my computer? C:\ drive
properties shows me how much drive space is used but not file types and how
much space they are consuming.

Eric

Old October 21st 07, 11:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rick Rogers

Hi,

Not easily, as there are thousands and thousands of files/folders to look
at.