Trays no work

Old October 21st 07, 10:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Raby''''s

Default Trays no work

Hi guys, Can anyone tell me how to deal with trays that stopped working in
Vista Home premium.
Have looked in Disk Manager, they are not listed, nor do they appear in
Device Manager.
Strangely they work during boot-up, but when Vista begins to run, they are
not recognised.
I can't reinstall Vista to get it working, without functioning trays.
Tried to cold boot with Vista in the tray, but it only goes into safe mode
menu, which doesn't allow me to use trays to reinstall.
--
Raby''''s
Old October 21st 07, 10:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard G. Harper

What is a "tray" ???

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]
* NEW! Catch my blog ...

Old October 21st 07, 11:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rick Rogers

I would assume he/she means optical drives.

Wonder if they show in the BIOS?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Richard G. Harper" wrote in message
What is a "tray" ???

Old October 21st 07, 11:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dave

I think the OP means the cup holders... that pop out so you can sit your
coffee cup in it.... ;-)

or the DVD drives...

Old October 22nd 07, 10:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Raby''''s

Sorry Richard, A Tray is a drive for a CD or DVD disk !
I have trouble believing that you are as vague as you make yourself out to
be.
It may not be a common term where you are, but it is that which, everyone
in Australia calls them; and I dare say that also applies to three quarters
of the UK.
A very small minority call them Drawers. Colloquially we 'Drop the disk in
the tray'.
Calling them by the drive letter that is assigned by the OS, doesn't tell
us what type of drive it is, whereas; the word Tray is specific, as is USB
Drive, Gig stick & etc; The big question is: Are you able to assist me in
getting my trays functioning?
OS does check all drives during boot-up, that's when I can open a tray
and drop in Vista disk, but as stated earlier, I am only directed to Safe
mode Menu.
--
Raby''''s

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

What is a "tray" ???

Old October 23rd 07, 12:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DevilsPGD

In message
Raby''''s wrote:

Calling them by the drive letter that is assigned by the OS, doesn't tell
us what type of drive it is, whereas; the word Tray is specific, as is USB
Drive, Gig stick & etc

CD or DVD drive is specific. Tray is ambiguous as best. Oddly, none of
my AU, NZ, or UK contacts have heard of this term except in passing,
most managed "CD drive" (although that is a catchall including DVD
drives these days)

OS does check all drives during boot-up, that's when I can open a tray
and drop in Vista disk, but as stated earlier, I am only directed to Safe
mode Menu.

I'd look to your IDE controllers to see if they're installed properly in
device manager, and if they recognize any connected devices.

--
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.
Old October 24th 07, 10:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Raby''''s

Then it is clear that we don't move in the same circles !
All this nitpicking is not helpful.
If you are able to help, that would be wonderful, if not, then don't post.
Critisisim is only useful if it is constructive.
--
Raby''''s

Old October 25th 07, 03:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DevilsPGD

In message
Raby''''s wrote:

Then it is clear that we don't move in the same circles !

True enough.

I deal primarily with geeks. I am a senior support monkey, responsible
for supporting our worldwide distribution chain for a Win32 mail server
package. We have distributors in 12 different countries, and resellers
in over 100 countries, many of which I am friends with (familiar enough
to discuss outside of work topics, although I doubt we'd fly across the
pond to hang out, were we not working together professionally)

As it turns out, none of the ones I consulted are familiar with that
term as anything more then a running joke (rather like calling them "cup
holders" -- They obviously are not, but it's a classic tech support joke
to pull on newbies to the desktop/deskside support world)

Now it's certainly possible that I've simply not been exposed to the
parts of the world that do use that term frequently. If that is the
case, it also appears Google has somehow missed it, since none of the
first 100 images, nor the first 100 search results show anything
relating to CD or DVD drives under the keyword searches for "Tray" or
"Trays"

http://www.instructables.com/id/Recy...to-nice-trays/ looks
interesting though, I may well give that a shot some time.

All this nitpicking is not helpful.
If you are able to help, that would be wonderful, if not,

If you'd read my message, you'd notice I did give a suggestion...

then don't post.

The fun thing about usenet, anyone can choose to post, or not.

You simply don't have any authority over whether or not I post. You can
no more stop me from posting then you can force me to help you.

In fact, in this thread to date, two of us have provided starting point
suggestions to troubleshooting your issue. I am one of them.

Critisisim is only useful if it is constructive.

Indeed -- Teaching common communication skills IS constructive, since it
can help you (and everyone else) gain assistance in the future. If you
used the word that the apparent majority of newsgroup members used to
identify the product in question, we'd be spending time helping you
instead of discussing your wording.

On that topic, I'd also suggest that "Gig stick" is equally useless in
terms of describing the product. USB flash drive is far more
descriptive, as is "SD Card" or "Compactflash microdrive" (admittedly a
bit confusing, but since "Compactflash" is the name of the interface,
most people can figure it out). "Memorystick" is equally identifying
since it's a registered trademark. "Gig stick" is remarkably unhelpful
from a troubleshooting point of view, except to possibly indicate the
size.

Even if we accept that "Tray" is "Where you stick the round shinny thing
into", that doesn't identify it as a CD or DVD drive, nor does that
include slot loading drives -- As I said, inaccurate at best.

Now, with that ramble/rant out of the way, lets see if we can't narrow
down your problem.

Lets start with Rick Rogers' suggestion, since he's the MVP and I'm just
the jerk. Does your BIOS recognize the drives?

If the BIOS does not, Windows cannot either, and you need to fix your
hardware or BIOS configuration issues.

If the BIOS does recognize the drive, go into Device Manager, look under
"IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" and view the properties of each of the "IDE
Channel" items, [Advanced Settings] tab, check and see if the CDROM
drive is listed under "Device Type" under any of your IDE channels. If
not, you either have a defective controller, drive, cable, or a problem
with the installation of the previous three components.

If it does show up, the next place to look is under "DVD/CD-ROM Drives",
if you do see the device listed, go into it's properties, [Volume] tab,
see if the drive spins up when you click the Populate button.

--
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.