Old March 18th 09, 12:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dave[_29_]

Default Naming USB ports for ejecting

Windows 7 will show you the info...

--
Windows 7 beta
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"Richard G. Harper" wrote in message
Unfortunately this function is not supported under any version of Windows.

"scott needs hel" wrote in message

For either, or ideally both, Vista and XP, is there a way I can name USB
ports so that when I click on the eject icon in the task bar to safely
eject the device, I don't have to remember what USB drive is in what
port?

Right now it says something like "*Safely remove mass storage device -
drive X*",

when I would like it to say something like "*Safely remove USBdrive2-
Drive X*" or just simply "*Safely remove USBdrive2*", or hell, I'd even
go for "*Safely remove mass torage device - drive X - USBdrive2*". So
long as the name is in there somewhere, I'd be happy!

I use like 5-6 different external hard drives / flash cards / MP3
players on my system, many of which are often taken out and put in. I'd
like an easier way to remember than having to open "My COmputer" window
and looking at the drive letter there to make sure I eject the right
one.

Thanks in advance all!

--
scott needs hel